Removing Air3 from Balance BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

encinitas

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,
I feel its time to remove the Air3 from my Seaquest Balance BC and replace it with a regular inflator while also buying a new standard octo to replace the Air3. My problem is that I cannot seem to find out what I should do to replace the Air3 as a power inflator. All I could find on aqualung's website was the Powerline inflator, which I can't find anywhere online. I figured I would have to buy a new hose, new corrugated hose, and a standard power inflator to do this? Also, does this seem worth it or should I just skip this whole mess and switch right on over to a BP/W?

Thanks for any help!

the corrugated tube on the air 3 is on opposite side where low pressure hose goes, you can go to a authorized dealer and buy the complete assembly that will just screw onto your bcd for about $45 for the complete unit then sell your air 3 assenm.

Not as complicated as it seems...the entire inflator assembly unscrews at the shoulder valve and viola replace with an Aqualung standard pull-dump valve/corrugated hose/inflator assembly. After that just removed the AS 3 from the regulator's low pressure port and replace with a standard inflator hose. Your LDS probably has some of these assemblies on hand from switching out standard inflators to Air Sources. Now just add your octo to another LP port. The cost is less than a whole new BP/W rig. PM me for contact info if you want me to help you change this over.

If you intend to move into a more technical direction with your diving then BP/W switch is appropriate.

May I ask why your are getting rid of your Air 3? cause i was thinking of getting it when i purchase my BC

May I ask why your are getting rid of your Air 3? cause i was thinking of getting it when i purchase my BC

I am wondering the same thing? I have the Air3 and find it to be more streamlined than having an Octo. Unless you find yourself having to supply air to your buddies often and don't like the idea of them putting your second stage in their mouths.

Hey all,
I feel its time to remove the Air3 from my Seaquest Balance BC and replace it with a regular inflator while also buying a new standard octo to replace the Air3. My problem is that I cannot seem to find out what I should do to replace the Air3 as a power inflator. All I could find on aqualung's website was the Powerline inflator, which I can't find anywhere online. I figured I would have to buy a new hose, new corrugated hose, and a standard power inflator to do this? Also, does this seem worth it or should I just skip this whole mess and switch right on over to a BP/W?

Thanks for any help!

Others have already made suggestions and offers about replacing the Air3. Some have even questioned your decision. I want to encourage you to follow through with your wise decision.

I will not use an Air3 type device (have in the past). Yes, they streamline your kit, but at a cost. If one is in an OOA buddy situation, I want a very straightforward solution with clear/separate inflator hose and octopus, and not the extra drama of an Air3. You can search and read about it on previous SB posts, but there are actually dive outfits and even countries that will not allow you to dive using an Air3.

About going BP/W. That is your decision. Most people diving the world, including myself, are very happy with their jacket style BCDs. However, there are a lot of fine/expert divers on this board that could give you very good advice on how to proceed with a BP/W purchase. In the meantime, use your quality Aqualung/Seaquest Balance BC (with an octopus) and take your time in making your next purchase decision.

I'm sure you have your answer by now but you're asking two different questions. It sounds like the first one has been answered. It looks like it's fairly easy to make the switch that you want.

Regarding a BP/W that simply depends on what you want. If you are interested in technical diving then you will most likely need a BP/W.

If you're not it's still a good choice for a BC but whether it's for you or not is a personal choice. I have one and am not a technical diver and I wouldn't dive anything else but it was a personal choice and had nothing to do with anyone else's opinion. Try one out and you'll either like it or not.

I disliked my jacket BC even before I was aware of a BP/W so when I began to notice them I realized it corrected all of the things I disliked about jacket BC's.

If you are more or less happy with your jacket BC then there may not be any reason to switch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom