remove 1st stage corrosion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pittyyofool

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California USA "yes it is a different sta
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
what is the best / most effective way or removing corrosion on a brass first stages when rebuilding. I have used ultra sonic cleaners in the past, but they are SLOW and don't work all that well for heavy corrosion. Is there chemical solutions that regulator parts can soak in to remove the corrosion? If so, how do I clean off the chemicals so it is safe for breathing again?

thanks

There are commercial solutions for the job. A tried and true fall back is common white vinegar. A few minutes of soaking, some TLC with a soft brush and a good rinse. Vinegar is somewhat corrosive so do not just leave the parts to soak. You can probably do all you need to do in 5-10 minutes of soaking.

Breathing afterward will be no problem but you may end the dive craving salad. :D

Pete

Cut it 50/50 with water first and then rinse really well when you are done soaking it. It is not a bad idea to soak the parts in a solution of baking soda afterward to ensure you neutralize any remaining acetic acid.

Be advised that if the chrome itself is already compromosed by heavy corrosion, you will most likely have exposed brass after you remove the corrosion.

I just got some very corroded stuff (including regs), and I used 70% vinegar, 30% HOT water in the ultra sonic cleaner for 5 mins, rinsed in clean water, then another 5 mins in 20% simple green, 80% HOT water, rinse again, blow dry...And the parts all came out clean as new and ready for O2! :D

I was reading through some threads about cleaning and found this one...Began cleaning some of my gear with Dr Bronner's Organic Soap and discovered it is gentle, cleans the grease and does not accelerate corrosion. I just soaked a valve in it. Rinse & dry throroughly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom