Remote-close cables for back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The latest PADI Tec 40 course has the following:

"Valve Accessories: A remote-close Cable for the isolator manifold or cylinder valve(s) is sometimes used for divers with physical challenges or in extreme environments where equipment, usually exposure suit and undercut, make it impossible to reach the valve(s)."

This is the first I've heard of a system like this. Does anyone use one? Where do you find them? I'd like to know more about them, although I personally have no need for one at the current time.

I believe they are usually referred to as a "slob knob" and are not generally used except in very rare circumstances. Most would argue it is unnecessary and if you aren't able to reach and manipulate your valves, you should either switch your configuration (to say sidemount) or work on mobility. They generally look like this:

1722269478529.png

I believe they are usually referred to as a "slob knob" and are not generally used except in very rare circumstances. Most would argue it is unnecessary and if you aren't able to reach and manipulate your valves, you should either switch your configuration (to say sidemount) or work on mobility. They generally look like this:

View attachment 853421
Interesting. Thanks!

I'm not disagreeing on your evaluation, I was just curious because I'd never heard of or seen anything like this.

I can reach diving in warm water without neoprene. In cold water, in a 7mm wetsuit, it's hard for me to reach. I've got one of the remot valve "snob knobs". Ain't nobody's business but my own. Why should I change my configuration from the one I dive everywhere just to satisfy some dive snob's whim?

I can reach diving in warm water without neoprene. In cold water, in a 7mm wetsuit, it's hard for me to reach.
And this is one of the many reasons why thick wetsuits are a bad idea, especially for any sort of technical diving. If you think you need a 7mm wetsuit then you actually need a properly fitted drysuit that allows full arm mobility.

Nah for my current diving it's two layers of 5mm over torso and shoulders never done a valve drill in my life

Loosen your waist belt kick your gear forward, show whomever is looking you can fiddle with all your knobs

and then never ever ever do it again
until some other pest wants to see it

The slob knob seemed all the rage in some places 25yrs ago to make it comfortable for divers that may be concerned about those things, middle knob only, it ran there down the front, along all the other acessories

As we were all diving thick neoprene double wetsuits, with manifolded steel tanks, a few twin bladders too

Something I continue today and for not even a splinter

but a few urchin spines

As natural divers choose to be immersed as one with the ocean not suspended in a sack of their own sweat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom