Remember to drink plenty of fluids and eat a little something

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

Yesterday after hubby did a boat dive, we were in the car park taking our gear off. I had done a shore dive with our neice and hubby had just done a 30mtr/90ft boat dive .

A diver we never met before comes up to ask asking if we can help his buddy. The buddy was suffering a nose bleed, headache, nausea and vomited and he started feeling sick after getting off the boat and walking about 50yards to the car.

On questioning the diver, he was on the same boat dive as hubby but he and his buddy did their own profile so I don’t have any details.

The diver had a bit of a late night the night before and a few drinks. That day he had not had any fluids whatsoever and had he not eaten anything that day either. By then it was 11am, he had been up for approx 6hours, it was hot and a bit humid in Sydney yesterday and water temp 25C/78F.

He had no other symptoms, aches or pains and had been a diver for over 2 years, was use to boat diving and didnt suffer sea sickness unless in very rough conditions, which it wasnt yesterday.

I made him drink about a litre of water, and a small amount of salty food and made him lie in the shade while sucking down the 40% nitrox that we had in one of our tanks. Soon after he also had some fruit and another litre of water.

Someone offered him some very strong asprins but i said i would prefer to wait a bit and see if fluid and food got rid of the nausea rather than masking it with drugs - was i right here???

Within 30mins his headache was easing off, we got the nose bleed to stop soon after looking at him.

I made him relax for about another hour, drinking more fluids and eating some light food and the diver said that he felt 100% and was embarrassed about the fuss.

I did the usual “if the symptoms return, call your doctor or ambulance” bit but all the time during this I kept wondering “what if”.

im signed up for our next 02 provider course next month as we have 02 tanks at home but i really dont ever want to be in a situation to "have" to use it... yesterday was worrying enough.

i suppose the thing this guy learnt yesterday was that dehydration sneaks up on you.

i learnt how unsure i was to make a phone call to get an ambulance or not - i mean, unless the guy is passed out right in front of you or convulsing when do you "know". I also learnt that with the 30 divers in the carpark yesterday, i was the only one prepared to step-up and most were observers.

Very good points almity. You never know when things can go south in a hurry. Good job taking care of him.

At the risk of telling someone much more experienced than I am things she already knows...

Yeah, dehydration is a major risk that can greatly increase the risk of Dcs, and from what you stated - he was very dehydrated. Not enough blood volume to move the blood gases efficiently and off gas the nitrogen safely.

That with "...suffering a nose bleed, headache, nausea and vomited and he started feeling sick after getting off the boat and walking about 50yards to the car" sounds pretty serious.

People not offering to get involved is common - when should we? Always a big question really. In Cpr class, we were taught to approach someone who seems to need help with the question: "May I help you?" I think it was. If he says no, wait and watch; if he says ok, do what you think prudent.

It sounds like he needed medical attention but like you - I'd not activate Emergency Medical System (EMS) until he agree or got worse. Over here, I could have used my speed dial on my cell phone to call DAN for immediate consultation by phone. Over there, some similar call might have been indicated.

Before I became a diver and learned about DAN, I would have called for a policeman to come for situation evaluation.

Sounds like you did good, tho - in all your actions, especially water and salty food. I do hope his buddy stayed with him, and took him to ER if he got worse. If not for the nose bleed I might have suggested aspirin, too, but with it - not without consulting a medical professional. That might be a bad idea for other reasons, tho, if you don't know his medical history etc. I offered iduprophen to a young lady in the office the other day at her request, only to have another co-worker tell her she shouldn't since she was pregnant. Didn't know that. :11:

The aspirin wouldn't have helped with the nausea regardless of the cause and would just upset his stomache further.
I would have treated for dehydration as well after doing a field neurological exam. If he wasn't presenting with any DCS symptoms then I would have done as you did. Feed him water and some light fruit.
I would have asked him if he wanted me to call EMS to check him out and highly encouraged this. EMS carry equipment that I don't and would be able to more quickly assess and treat the situation. Nothing says you have to go the hospital, but let them take your vitals at least.

Good job stepping up to assist. I'm sure he appreciated it.

I'd want you there! You know, I have had some episodes from low blood suger I think. Get up early, amp on coffee race to meet the boat and by the second dive I get ...weak and shakey. I now always eat something-- nuts , a banana, preferably an egg or some protein. The nose bleed has me stumped with the other symptoms. Some people when they see blood in their mask get freaked. Personally, I think getting his blood sugar up was good. Of course if someone is in respiratory distress or losing consciousness, maybe not. We had a guy today...flew in from Japan and the poor man got weak and...Ijust think people push themselves really hard crossing time zones, getting dehydrated.

I think you did right.

But what was this guy thinking? Doing deep 30m (maybe) dive(s) with a hangover, dehydrated and very low blood sugar. All of us should know better. I wouldn't even go diving at 2m in that condition.

DandyDon that's a good idea about having the DAN number on speed-dial. Would be real good to have them on the line helping when something goes wrong.

tparrent:
DandyDon that's a good idea about having the DAN number on speed-dial. Would be real good to have them on the line helping when something goes wrong.
Yeah, over here - maybe not so great over there. But I have 3 DAN listing in my phone: DAN Dive Emergencies 24 hour line, DAN Medical Techs on weeedays, and their Admin number. Most phones today have more memory than anyone ever uses.:14:

tparrent:
this is a good idea. every year when we renew our membership we get a DAN tag but ive always put them in the draw and forgot about them. ive now clipped one to my bcd and one in our tool box.

also, the diver that i helped out on the weekend rang the dive shop yesterday im told, (the dive shop ran the boat dive). he rang to say thanks and he was sorry for any trouble caused and he's 100% ok, which is great news.

cheers

almitywife:
this is a good idea. every year when we renew our membership we get a DAN tag but ive always put them in the draw and forgot about them. ive now clipped one to my bcd and one in our tool box.

also, the diver that i helped out on the weekend rang the dive shop yesterday im told, (the dive shop ran the boat dive). he rang to say thanks and he was sorry for any trouble caused and he's 100% ok, which is great news.

cheers
Well, I don't know how calling DAN works in other countries - thought I'd heard not so great there. Have you ever test called them?

I worry a lot, so I have called them several times about buddies, and the Med Tech line about my DVT last year.

Back
Top Bottom