Relocating a business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We run a profitable dive shop in the heart of the main town on our island. We get a lot of foot traffic and our shop has been a mainstay on the island for almost twenty years (we bought it two years ago). We are located next to the main water taxi that transports backpackers from the mainland to the island. Our great location comes with a price...we pay over $2000/month for shop and apartment rental (our apartment is right above the shop). The rent is fairly steep, it is fine during busy season, but often has us struggling to meet the rent during our slower months. We also compete with two other dive shops that are within 300 yards of our shop.

We were recently approached by a resort on a neighboring island about relocating to their resort. It offers everything from hostel accommodations ($13/night) to high end villas that sleep six ($250/night). It also has a large marina, a beautiful beach, nature trails, a zip-line tour company and many other ammenities.

They are willing to build a new shop for us and offer two different types of rent: one is 10% of our gross/mo. (this is somewhat attractive because during slow months our rent will be substantially lower. The main drawback is that we would have to install a cash register and declare all of our sales, meaning an increased sales tax liability), or a fixed rent that would be approximately half of what we currently pay in rent. They want us to evenly split building costs (relatively inexpensive because labor is cheap and they are building like crazy at the resort) and they will rebate our share of the building costs as free rent over the first several months. We would be guarenteed of being the only dive shop at the resort.

My main concern is that while the island is only a $4 water taxi away from our current location, I am certain that we will lose a substantial portion of our foot traffic. I am torn between staying at our current location or moving to the new one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can you work out a deal where you do both sites? Maybe work something out with the new place that you will help get the site up and running and that if you don't make x amount of money then you walk away with none to minimal loss.

I do the % on my pool and it helps me tremendously. No need to cancel because the pool cost mor than I make on tuition. This is business every thing is up for negotioation and re negotiation.

Good luck.

Hey Cappyjon,

I guess the main thing to focus on, as Abyss Scuba mentioned is how much foot traffic would you loose? Is there a way to get foot fall figures for the proposed new location? Also, if the resort is building like mad, what kind of advertising are they doing, and what kind of visitors will they attract (would they want to dive).

Even if the rent is half of what you currently pay, the footfall needs to be at least 50% of what it currently is to remain at the same threshold as you are currently at.

Is there another way to entice divers to the proposed new location? E.g. can you setup a temporary dive stand / shop (even if its only for bookings) in your current area? That might be a way to keep your visibility up whilst moving most of the logistics to the new island.

Sounds like a good idea, but don't jump in too soon. If you need an impartial person to talk it thro, i'd be more than happy to help. Just drop us a private message on here.

All the best
André

how is their occupancy? avg year round?
you said they are building like crazy, how long have they been open?
if you pay the set rent do you still have to set up a cash register to declare all sales?
do you still have to keep your prices competitive to the other dive centers or can your price go up since you could be servicing mainly their guests?

After doing some soul searching (and number crunching) we have decided to stay at our current location. On the bright side, I renogotiated our lease and now our rent is more in line with what we can afford during our slow season. Thanks for all the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom