Religion and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today, we do have science. Today, we know that the ideas coming from these past periods were just wild guesses, made up stories or other myths. Yet, there's still people today who are under the impression that these ancient people had access to some kind of divine truth.

Yes, you're absolutely right. But on both sides... on the "religion has it right" side and on the "religion has it wrong" side, I'm seeing equal levels of .... let's call it "passion".

Personally I feel in a position to mediate because I understand both camps. What I don't understand very well is why the obvious dove-tail is understood by neither group.

R..

Yes, you're absolutely right. But on both sides... on the "religion has it right" side and on the "religion has it wrong" side, I'm seeing equal levels of .... let's call it "passion".
No argument there. Passion is pretty irrelevant though, as it doesn't say anything about how correct or incorrect one's position may be. Luckily science has means to demonstrate its validity. Religion doesn't.

And I'm not passionate about this merely for the sake of being right or wrong. If you told me that you owned an invisible pink unicorn as pet, then that claim may make me laugh, but I'd leave it that. No problem there. However, if you also claimed that this same unicorn would attack people if they didn't behave in certain ways and that therefore everybody better do what you say, then I do have a problem with that. Not a big problem if it's just you claiming that, but it does become a big problem if a significant portion of the global population started to claim the same thing.

Not that I'm saying that anyone in particular in this thread has made any such demands, even though I have been accused of being an inherently immoral person. But it's other people, worldwide, who believe in the same things who do make such demands. And it doesn't end at just making demands.

You seem to be missing the point I'm making by a long shot. I'm not condemning ancient peoples by not having figured stuff out scientifically. They didn't know any better. Can't blame them. (Even though, historically, there were people who did figure stuff out scientifically, despite modern science not having been defined properly. And in so many cases, religion in its infinite ignorance tried to suppress them.)

good.... if you got this far in your thinking then you've achieved more in the last few days than in the years before that. I'm seeing this as a personal achievement. We're not there yet but we're on the path.

What I'm condemning is the effect that this still has on our modern world. Today, we do have science. Today, we know that the ideas coming from these past periods were just wild guesses, made up stories or other myths. Yet, there's still people today who are under the impression that these ancient people had access to some kind of divine truth. That somehow they knew things that today we don't know. There's even still people today who insist that the earth is the centre of the universe, all because it says so in the bible, even though we clearly know that this is nonsense and that the original idea was just a wild guess. And this kind of insanity has serious negative effects on our world today.

I think I can follow your logic up to the point where you assert that it has "negative effects on our world today". This is the point where we previously had to "agree to disagree". With your new found sense of "historical context" do you still think it's all "insanity" "nonsense" and "wild guesses" or can you now entertain the idea that it made sense at the time but that it makes sense to a certain degree.

If you told me that you owned an invisible pink unicorn as pet, then that claim may make me laugh, but I'd leave it that. No problem there. However, if you also claimed that this same unicorn would attack people if they didn't behave in certain ways and that therefore everybody better do what you say, then I do have a problem with that. Not a big problem if it's just you claiming that, but it does become a big problem if a significant portion of the global population started to claim the same thing.

Interesting. So basically you don't want to be told what to do by people with a different belief system that you don't agree with. But I suspect that if you and/or people who think just like you held power & ran the world, you, too, would be telling other people what to do. Unless you're an anarchist, which doesn't seem to be the case.

And some of your posts lead me to think you have this arbitrary belief system that human beings have 'rights.' Since you brought up homophobia, I take it that you believe gay people, for example, have some sort of 'rights.'

There's nothing in science that tells us people have rights, or that such a thing exists as an objective reality. So-called rights are social constructs, just as slavery was and as you purport religion to be. Even if you try to argue that 'rights' are constructed to be pro-social, encourage the advancement of the species, etc…, you'll run into a couple of problems:

1.) Science doesn't establish that the survival/advancement of the species is good or bad, right or wrong. It's just an outcome of natural selection leaving behind those that are fit & make an effort to survive.

2.) Many people aren't conducive to the advancement of the species, & may actually be counter productive. The advanced elderly and the severely mentally handicapped for example. Homosexuality doesn't promote transmitting one's genes to the next generation, so there could be an interesting side debate from a non-religious Darwinian perspective as to whether it's counter to natural selection.

So, you have this somewhat arbitrary value system, not determined or verifiable by scientific means yet in which you place considerable faith, that you and some other people (but nowhere near everybody) share, and which you if in power would use to impose some of your views onto others.

Wow. On some level, you're practically religious!

Richard.

Interesting. So basically you don't want to be told what to do by people with a different belief system that you don't agree with. But I suspect that if you and/or people who think just like you held power & ran the world, you, too, would be telling other people what to do. Unless you're an anarchist, which doesn't seem to be the case.
When was the last time you ever heard of someone being disqualified from running for public office in this country because of their religious beliefs? And yet, in seven states, it is STILL illegal for an atheist to run for public office. That used to be true in all of them.

So who made those laws?

And some of your posts lead me to think you have this arbitrary belief system that human beings have 'rights.' Since you brought up homophobia, I take it that you believe gay people, for example, have some sort of 'rights.'
Yeah ... the same 'rights' you and I have. At least ... they should.

There's nothing in science that tells us people have rights, or that such a thing exists as an objective reality. So-called rights are social constructs, just as slavery was and as you purport religion to be.
Agreed ... but neither science nor social constructs grant us our rights. The law does. Isn't that the basis for the recent Supreme Court ruling on marriage?

Even if you try to argue that 'rights' are constructed to be pro-social, encourage the advancement of the species, etc…, you'll run into a couple of problems:

1.) Science doesn't establish that the survival/advancement of the species is good or bad, right or wrong. It's just an outcome of natural selection leaving behind those that are fit & make an effort to survive.

2.) Many people aren't conducive to the advancement of the species, & may actually be counter productive. The advanced elderly and the severely mentally handicapped for example. Homosexuality doesn't promote transmitting one's genes to the next generation, so there could be an interesting side debate from a non-religious Darwinian perspective as to whether it's counter to natural selection.

Sounds like eugenics ... the fundamental principle upon which the Third Reich was built.

So, you have this somewhat arbitrary value system, not determined or verifiable by scientific means yet in which you place considerable faith, that you and some other people (but nowhere near everybody) share, and which you if in power would use to impose some of your views onto others.
I fail to see the connection you're trying to make here. There is no fundamental link between law and science ... governments, and the social constructs around which they're built, are not necessarily built on science. In many cases, those in power want to suppress science in order to promote their own views (see GOP ... particularly in the southern states).

Everybody's religious ... where we differ is in what we choose to worship. You can worship your magic underwear, for all I care ... right up to the point where you try to make me wear them ... that's where we're going to run into a problem ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

good.... if you got this far in your thinking then you've achieved more in the last few days than in the years before that. I'm seeing this as a personal achievement. We're not there yet but we're on the path.
Why thank you, that makes me feel very proud :rolleyes:

I think I can follow your logic up to the point where you assert that it has "negative effects on our world today". This is the point where we previously had to "agree to disagree". With your new found sense of "historical context" do you still think it's all "insanity" "nonsense" and "wild guesses" or can you now entertain the idea that it made sense at the time but that it makes sense to a certain degree.
I think I'm repeating myself, but here we go. The fact that it made sense at some time, or the fact that it makes some sense at all, is irrelevant. Something making sense has no relevance on it being true or not true. There are a lot of things that make sense or seem to make sense, but that we know are clearly wrong. And once we know that these things are wrong, we need to discard the belief that they're true even if they still make sense.

But I'm still not sure what your point is, so I can't elaborate. Do you think that parents pray over their sick children instead of taking them to the doctor because it makes more sense to them? Do you think that this is an OK thing for them to do, because it makes sense to them?

Another nice straw man there. I think I have a whole army of them collected by now :D

But let's see where you're going with this.

There's nothing in science that tells us people have rights, or that such a thing exists as an objective reality. So-called rights are social constructs, just as slavery was and as you purport religion to be. Even if you try to argue that 'rights' are constructed to be pro-social, encourage the advancement of the species, etc…, you'll run into a couple of problems:
Man, you almost had it, until that last part. Yeah, rights are social constructs (or rather based on them), very true. But you fell right into the common Christian/creationist tarpit at the end.

This has nothing to do with "advancement of the species." Not sure if I'd file this under straw man or slippery slope, but anyway. You're talking about Social Darwinism, which is just another social construct and has nothing to do with science. In particular, science has nothing at all to say about morality, rights or values or anything similar. Science is the pursuit of knowledge and truth. Whether humans evolved from apes or not is completely irrelevant to how we should treat each other.

Secular morality is (very roughly) based on suffering and happiness. Life is generally preferable to death. Pleasure is generally preferable to pain. This sort of stuff. Very simple premises. Again, this has nothing to do with science, has nothing to do with whether evolution is true, has nothing to do with advancement of the species or anything else. Science attempts to tell you what's real and what isn't. That's all. It doesn't try to tell you what to do.

Now when it comes to making the determination between happiness and suffering, and determining a course of action to increase happiness and reduce suffering as much as possible, that's where science or more precisely evidence and reason comes into play. Something which increases happiness and reduces suffering is seen as "good" and the opposite as "bad." In a nutshell.

Again, these are social constructs. Society has figured out that if one wants to be happy, it's usually beneficial when everybody else is also happy and agrees with you on this. If I don't steal your crap, then you don't have a reason to kick me in the face. Or the other way around. It doesn't take a supreme being to figure this out.

However, some details that today we take for granted had to be learned by mankind over the centuries. For example the idea that all men (and women) are "created equal" has only been very recently become mainstream thinking and in some cases still hasn't sunk in. Instead, the idea that some people are in some way better than others has always existed. This clearly was the case in biblical times. Other examples are women being inferior to men in various ways (lower intelligence etc). The same was said about black people. Native Americans had no soul and therefore weren't people. Today we know that this is all nonsense and we know this through evidence.

Going back to homosexuals, the question isn't whether they should have rights, but whether they should have the same rights as everybody else, such as the right to marry. So let's see how we can figure this out.

We can look to religion, Christianity in particular. It says that homosexuality is an abomination and that participants should be put to death. OK. Based on what? Nothing, it just says so and there's no explanation. Apparently god really hates gays. Now obviously we don't really want to kill them because that would be wrong (lol) but at least we can deny them the right to marry.

Or we can look to secular morality. A homosexual couple marrying obviously increases their own happiness, so that's good. We know this through evidence, reason and empathy. Does it increase anyone's suffering? Absolutely not, it doesn't affect anyone else at all. Again, we know this through evidence or rather the lack thereof. So why the hell is this even a question?!

Richard.

What rights do religions confer? A number of religions do give members of that religion higher status and power over non-members, but what human rights in the sense of freedoms and protections do they acknowledge?

Time's up. Answer: None. The Ten Commandments? Mostly a list of things that you may not do, so one might think that the commandment against killing might be a recognition of your right to life, but if you came to that conclusion you'd be wrong. Read the original full text of the Decalog, and the rest of the Old Testament. You'd find that your right to life was in great jeapordy if you were a witch or a male homosexual.

Humanistic thought has always been and continues to be the font of virtually all human rights. Science does not enter into this area of thought any more than fine art or mathematics. Religion has a periphal connection, but looking at the world's religions in the broadest sense, they have been more restrictive than protective.

The Pilgrim settlers of New England left home so they could be free to practice their brand of Protestantism while also being free to banish anyone who practiced some other brand of Christianity and hanging the occasional old lady who dabbled in herbs. They were also free to exterminate the local natives.

I remember researching Metacomet's family. The New Englanders sold them into slavery in Jamaica.

Human rights are a secular humanist conception.

I'll give dfx credit for a logistically consistent worldview. He has thought out what he believes. What I was getting at was the fact some atheists seem to believe in 'higher moral truth,' and gay rights is just one area I've seen this come out, as if this were an inherent endowment of human beings rather than some social tradition or contemporary legal code. Even absent God, they talk about 'right and wrong.' Yet some of NWGratefulDiver's posts:

Yeah ... the same 'rights' you and I have. At least ... they should.

And yet, in seven states, it is STILL illegal for an atheist to run for public office. That used to be true in all of them.

Despite also posting this:

Agreed ... but neither science nor social constructs grant us our rights. The law does. Isn't that the basis for the recent Supreme Court ruling on marriage?

So, prior to the Supreme Court ruling there was no such right? And prior to the Civil War slavery was okay? As for the Nazis, I recall being told many years ago in some class that dealing with them brought up some questions in terms of prosecution; what do you do with someone who was acting in accordance with the laws of his governing country? Interesting stuff.

What rights do religions confer?

I think the Christian view tends to run more similar to what was stated in the Declaration of Independence; that man was endowed by His creator with certain inalienable rights. That because we (or at least our ancestors) were created in the image of God and are valued by Him, that this gives us worth. And I believe this mindset, or similar ones, has had a lot to do with shaping our culture.

When the value of human life and human rights simply become matters of social policy based on contemporary popular opinion & legal codes, I think we lay a foundation that in time will favor eugenics and who knows what else?

Richard.

My first vocation was natural sciences. I have a master's degree in chemistry and teaching. Soviet authorities removed me from my teaching position as a chemist, and let me clean sewers because I joined the Church. My second vocation was Christianity. Later I received a Doctor of Divinity degree from Concordia seminary Ft.Wayne. As a professional in both natural sciences and religion I don't see any contradiction between them (and diving). Sorry to mention, but the comments above often express sterotypes, clichés, prejudices and lack of knowledge about religion and its relationships with the science. For an alternative look at science and religion I might recommend this book.

My first vocation was natural sciences. I have a master's degree in chemistry and teaching. Soviet authorities removed me from my teaching position as a chemist, and let me clean sewers because I joined the Church. My second vocation was Christianity. Later I received a Doctor of Divinity degree from Concordia seminary Ft.Wayne. As a professional in both natural sciences and religion I don't see any contradiction between them (and diving). Sorry to mention, but the comments above often express sterotypes, clichés, prejudices and lack of knowledge about religion and its relationships with the science. For an alternative look at science and religion I might recommend this book.

This has been a rather long and rambling thread, but one of the points brought up and directed toward those who take the Bible in a literal fashion, is how do you reconcile the contradictions between the text and the physical universe. At least one of the respondents is as a person of science (MD), and is apparently content in suspending disbelief for observed events that do not line up with the literal biblical recount. e.g. the earth is < 10,000 years old, men walked with dinosaurs

Do you consider yourself a biblical literalist?

Would you speculate on what % of theologians (and please let's limit this to DD's from schools not exclusively dedicated to teaching the Bible) hold a literalist perspective?

Reactions: dfx
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom