Regulators in carry-on luggage and TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Just returned from 5 days in Florida, travelling between San Francisco and Ft Myers. My fiance and myself took our scuba gear, as we were doing some diving over this time, and decided to take our regulators, dive computers, lights and masks in our carry-on luggage. In San Francisco, we informed the TSA inspector as we began the inspection process that there was scuba gear in our luggage, and after X-raying, he opened it, agreed everything was in order, and wished us well on our vacation.

However, on the return trip, the response in Ft Myers was the complete opposite. We informed the TSA agent that there was scuba gear, to which there was an immediate response of "you can't take that on a plane, you will have to check it", before the case even went through X-ray. Apparently in Ft Myers, regulators (or snorkelling gear as the TSA agent called it) can be used as a weapon, to which the agent then proceeded to describe how terrorists could take it from our carry-on luggage and swing it around their heads to injure people (complete with animated arm-waving). In San Francisco they were concerned about the dive computer's electronics, but in Ft Myers that didn't even get a mention, just that regulators were weapons and we were stupid for trying to carry them onto a plane.

I'm contacting TSA to seek an official "ruling" of some type on any policies they may have regarding taking regulators onto aircraft as carry-on luggage, as I pointed out to the Ft Myers agent, they were being inconsistent (that didn't go down well), and I will post their response in this thread. Until then, be aware that you may be asked to place your regulators in checked baggage.

Scubaroo...good luck on writing TSA..
I wrote them a detailed letter asking specific questions and got back the most worthless answer ever. Did not address one specific question.

My experience hasnt been too bad yet with carry on. First of all I dont let them know i have dive equipment. Yep they figure it out real quick but when they say they need to open the bags I smile real big and say something like...well you would be the first that didnt....Know anything about dive gear??

I take my regs...computer...and pony bottle as well. And, i have a letter from Delta stating it is ok to take a pony bottle on board. If you go to Delta.com and ask them what the rules are on bottles they will tell you they cannot be over 41 psi....the REALITY is.....if you want no problems...other than a search....drain the bottle...remove the valve...and plug with a plastic screw in plug....this letter has saved me a lot of hassles.

Of course next time I could be thrown agaist the wall and searched..who knows....we have lost more freedoms than we defend.

Why not ban laceup shoes, then? They could be removed, the laces tied together, swung over the head...you get the picture. And stilletto heels could be the women's weapon of choice. How absurd!

I am surprised to hear of your trouble. We have flown four times in the past four months and always carry on our regulators. Last time was just two weeks ago and no problem. They always want to open, but most of the time they just say oh, scuba gear, ok.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Apparently in Ft Myers, regulators (or snorkelling gear as the TSA agent called it) can be used as a weapon, to which the agent then proceeded to describe how terrorists could take it from our carry-on luggage and swing it around their heads to injure people (complete with animated arm-waving).
To which in the past I pointed out that any seat belt on the plane can be unclipped from the seat and the buckle swung around in the same manner, so why would someone bother to seek out my regulator?

Amazingly, they changed their mind!

Roak

Fortunatley I had better luck with TSA in Dulles (D.C.) and Ft. Lauderdale. When they asked to open my bag I told them I had scuba gear and they said that is what they thought but they just needed to double check. They even hefted the regulator so they knew of its wild arm-waiving havoc potential.

The only thing that gave them pause was my steel backplate :mouth:, they pulled it out and examined it and felt the edges (they're smooth) and decided it was OK to send it through. I was worried at first but happy they let me carry it on.

They were actually courteous and professional and even chatty at both places, it helped me to relax and be less annoyed. However, as they are in their jobs longer and become more embittered, I predict the quality of service will plummet to the level of other government agencies.

Roo, I don't know if you already sent your letter, but it might be worth pointing out that the reason divers carry on their regulators is because they are life support devices and if they are damaged in luggage we might not notice until they fail us underwater and we risk death. Of course, they may not care.

I've hauled a regulator as carry-on luggage through Dulles, National, BWI, Jacksonville and Miami several times in the last six months and never had any objections.

Once, at Dulles, they were puzzled when I didn't warn them what I had, but they turned out to be most interested in the underwater housing to a camera and its batteries.

I think I'll steer clear from Ft. Myers.

I carried my regulators and computer in my carry-on to Ft. Lauderdale from Flint and back the second week of January and the TSA didn't give it a second look at either end of the trip. Of course, we weren't involved in a war in the middle east at that time, and I'm sure that makes some difference...

Just by the way, the airport at Ft. Lauderdale had the worst lines for a weekday morning that you could imagine, to get travelers to the gate. It took nearly an hour at 10:00 on a Tuesday morning to pick up boarding passes and get into the 'secure' side of the boarding area. I watched a lot of people turned away at the security gates for different reasons, after standing in line with screaming kids for nearly an hour.

Next time I go to Florida, I'll drive the Pontiac and put up with 24 hours drive time, rather than face that mess again....and they WONDER why the airlines in this country are in trouble....

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
Once, at Dulles, they were puzzled when I didn't warn them what I had, but they turned out to be most interested in the underwater housing to a camera and its batteries.
Ever seen a NiMH pack for a canister light? A bundle of green cylinders taped together with a wire sticking out the end :boom:

I put that into my checked baggage with a note wrapped around it explaining what it was - my bag was opened and a note left saying my luggage had been inspected, but they let it be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom