Regulators Depth Limitations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a certified O2 Technician, yes all parts of your regulator system are looked at. However in saying that some parts of a regulator system are more difficult to clean than others. In the case of hoses, it can be extremely difficult to clean them, in particular the case of HP hoses with tiny orifices, and the internals of HP gauges. This is where with using 100% O2, its better to buy already clean hoses and gauges.

The hoses and gauges I clean, I try and clean what I can, hence I don't use them for 100% O2, rather 40-60%, anything above 60% I use purpose built Oxygen regulators. I guess the real difference is that they are cleaned and assembled oxygen clean from the factory, so for a period at least they are oxygen clean (until contaminated over time or via using with contaminated gas).

However to put it into perspective, more industrial oxygen is used daily than diving oxygen and we don't hear of lots of cases of fires. I would bet a high number of industrial users have little real idea of the risks, thus there is some tolerance I guess in the risk. Still its best to strive for the standard and minimise it so we are not the small percentage that finds out what an oxygen fire is really like.

Looks like I am going to have to go back and play with fire and find out the other sides of the Triangle (Tetrahedron).

My Titans are now stage regs. So you can do that too. When it was time to service them, I brought them away and said they must be made suitable for 100% use. So now I can use them on one of my bailout/decogases. That can be a 6/73 trimix or a 100%. My stageregs are not used on a normal tank, I have for that my normal twinsetregs. Most times I service and clean stuff myself.
I don't like to have stageregs that can by only used on a 100% and stageregs that cannot be used on a 100%. So all my stageregs are cleaned for oxygenuse.

However to put it into perspective, more industrial oxygen is used daily than diving oxygen and we don't hear of lots of cases of fires. I would bet a high number of industrial users have little real idea of the risks, thus there is some tolerance I guess in the risk. Still its best to strive for the standard and minimise it so we are not the small percentage that finds out what an oxygen fire is really like.

The industrial O2 I have used is bolted to the wall, or in a cart that is hard to tip over. When not in use the valve is covered with a steel cap. The tanks themselves are steel. I have had a good understanding of the risks of O2 since I started using a torch over 50 years ago.

Unless the tank/valve is compromised, the O2 stays in the tank and cannot contribute to a fire. I believe that if I were to use pure O2 I would not use an AL tank, which seems to come up in the O2 incidents.

Bob

The industrial O2 I have used is bolted to the wall, or in a cart that is hard to tip over. When not in use the valve is covered with a steel cap. The tanks themselves are steel. I have had a good understanding of the risks of O2 since I started using a torch over 50 years ago.

Unless the tank/valve is compromised, the O2 stays in the tank and cannot contribute to a fire. I believe that if I were to use pure O2 I would not use an AL tank, which seems to come up in the O2 incidents. Bob

I don't disagree with your comments, however the 1st stage regulator poses risk as well in the HP section. My thoughts are that in industrial gas use, this is the main piece of gear that's of highest risk. Working in heavy industry it is somewhat common to see 1st stage regs treated badly. Not sealed when disconnected, left on the floor etc. In spite of this we do not hear much in the way of industrial oxygen fires. I am not sure but I also suspect often the industrial valving and fittings are metal to metal contact thus removing the O ring component which reduces risk too. Is it the aluminium tank that creates the additional risk or more O rings thus fuel and squeeze points if a leak at them? All interesting thoughts anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom