Regulators Depth Limitations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Mother of All Reg Reviews - Regulator Test Score Charts | Scuba Diving

I own the Agualung Titan LX and Titan Octo LX, and in the review above it pass with the highest score of 20. on the breathing simulator, while in water simulation it performed average to 3.4 from 5 been maximum on breathing, and 3.4 on clearing, but it does not say at what depth the water simulation was done or at least it is not clear for me.

I know there are limitations on O2 %, but since on Deep Tec diving your % of O2 at depth are lower, does Helium affect this regulator ?, there is no mention of this in the manual

There is as well Temperature limitations where the Titan LX have his limitations, but taking in account it will not do cold water diving.

APEX and Legends as well as ScubaPro will be the better option, but relating them as Titan LX been a VW Beetle and the others as BMW both take you where you need but ones way more comfortable, you will pay for that comfort so speaking, but according to the chart the end result suppose to be the same except for comfort and Ergo's

My question will be is the Titan LX a possible candidate for Tec Diving ? if your answer is NO or YES or depends of depths, can you share why.

( I know there are better options for Tec diving, but put that aside, I don't mind riding a beetle so far it doesn't put me in danger ) take your time to read the test results as well.

Thanks for your time.

A Titan LX is a well-respected regulator. I can be converted to cold water diving if you want. If you needed cold water diving the LX Supreme model would have been a better purchase.

Helium is less dense than nitrogen so the flow rate of the regulator is actually enhanced.

The main difference between the Legend and the Titan LX is the first stage while the second stages are virtually the same. I doubt you could tell the difference between them.

I prefer Apeks and Scubapros because they have adjustable second stages in the mid-line, for an adjustable second stage you need I think a Legend LX Supreme which is a top-of-the-line product price wise.

Your instructor is the person to ask but I see no reason why it cannot be used for tech diving.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 03:10 PM ----------

Looking at some of the regulators in this test, I think this data is around 15 years old. I haven't seen IDI or Parkway outside of eBay for years. The Titan LX has been updated.

not going to bother with reading the results because they aren't particularly relevant to this discussion.

Your regulators are fine, the second stages especially, if you want, you can buy a matching first stage to move to doubles/sidemount and if you want to upgrade later, use those regulators for stage bottles. Nothing wrong with that.

Depth is a factor in regulator performance, but it is a bit weird. O2 depth limitations are a physiological effect, but the O2 regulators will work just fine at 100ft, 200ft, 300ft, etc. Just ask the guys that have tried it, oh wait, they're dead... Sorry a bit morbid, but it was funny in my mind. When you get to a depth that the air density becomes relevant to increased breathing effort, you will have helium in the mix which will decrease the gas density and most regulators have a relatively flat performance curve, i.e. independent of depth due to the added helium percentages offsetting the increase gas density.

Your regulators may not be the best option for cold water, but unless you plan on ice diving any time in the near future you are unlikely to be going anywhere that they will not be just fine in their current configuration. Cold water sealing has been blown way out of proportion and more malfunctions are actually at the surface than they are at depth. I.e. you are at the surface, regulator is covered in water and you breathe off of it with the regulator at the surface and it will cause it to freeze. Very few freeflows occur at depth unless you are diving in some seriously cold water and are huffing and puffing, again this has to be very close to the freezing point of water for this to be of concern.

Regulator need not be thought of as cars because you do not always get what you pay for in terms of comfort and performance. Some designs are better than others, but just because a regulator says Apeks on it doesn't mean it is functionally any better than another, just different.

So to sum up, yes your regs are fine for technical diving, odds are your current setup is yoke which means you will have to switch the first stages to DIN for technical diving anyway, and at that point you might as well just invest in a new set of regulators because the cost of buying another first stage and having your current one converted for DIN use will be getting close to the cost of a whole new regulator set, maybe not from Apeks, but from some of the other manufacturers that are a bit better cost wise, or buy used, no harm in that either. Dedicate your current set to singles diving, and you'll be good to go. If you plan to start your technical diving in single tanks, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the setup.

does Helium affect this regulator

Helium does not affect anything (chemically). It is a noble = inert gas. Helium is pretty small and leaks out easier than oxygen, but that should not affect regulators :D

Helium is thinner though and easier to brethe and it is less narcotic, but these do not affect the regulator in any major way.

The Mother of All Reg Reviews - Regulator Test Score Charts | Scuba Diving

I own the Agualung Titan LX and Titan Octo LX, and in the review above it pass with the highest score of 20. on the breathing simulator, while in water simulation it performed average to 3.4 from 5 been maximum on breathing, and 3.4 on clearing, but it does not say at what depth the water simulation was done or at least it is not clear for me.

I know there are limitations on O2 %, but since on Deep Tec diving your % of O2 at depth are lower, does Helium affect this regulator ?, there is no mention of this in the manual

There is as well Temperature limitations where the Titan LX have his limitations, but taking in account it will not do cold water diving.

APEX and Legends as well as ScubaPro will be the better option, but relating them as Titan LX been a VW Beetle and the others as BMW both take you where you need but ones way more comfortable, you will pay for that comfort so speaking, but according to the chart the end result suppose to be the same except for comfort and Ergo's

My question will be is the Titan LX a possible candidate for Tec Diving ? if your answer is NO or YES or depends of depths, can you share why.

( I know there are better options for Tec diving, but put that aside, I don't mind riding a beetle so far it doesn't put me in danger ) take your time to read the test results as well.

Thanks for your time.

You know what, most of those test are not especially well done and should be taken with a grain of salt or two. Actually those test are kinda cute. Please notice that one set of numbers are ANSTI breathing tests and the other are "evaluations" which are subjective and influenced by a lot of things including downright fakery and severe bias.

You realize the second stage of the Legend and the Titan XL are the same save for the adjustment knob which can be added to the Titan (one of my Titan XL sets has the knob)? You further realize that the internal components of the first stages are the same (including the Legend and current and past Titan XL first stages), just rearranged? The Titan XL is hardly a Beetle and the Supreme is a fine cold water regulator. Since I have both the Titan XL (two sets and the top of the line Legend which my wife confiscated) and I cannot tell the difference both subjectively or on my test equipment which includes a flow meter, several Magnahelics etc.

Individual regulators vary slightly in tune. I will put my Titan XLs against anything, anywhere. I tuned them, I set them up, they are good to any depth well beyond anything I have ever been capable of or needed.

You further realize the KM Professional regulator used for years and still used is nothing more than a fancy Conshelf with an adjustment knob (yeah, yeah, whatever)? And the Conshelf, while a work horse beast, is not in the same league as the Titan/Legend regulators. Here, you want professional grade:

Metal SuperFlow Scuba Regulator | Kirby Morgan

Kirby Morgan 37 | Kirby Morgan

N

Last edited:
Looking at some of the regulators in this test, I think this data is around 15 years old. I haven't seen IDI or Parkway outside of eBay for years. The Titan LX has been updated.
Just 13...lol.

Capture.JPG

These are the most current reviews - except they do a 60 second spotlight on individual regs now also.
SCUBALAB 2014: Regulator Review | Scuba Diving
ScubaLab Regulator Test | Dive Gear Reviews | Best Regs | Scuba Diving

I'll put my conshelf XIV supreme .... Up against the new kids on the block....

Jim

The Titan I have is the LX version that can be adjusted, that said I don't notice any difference either way on the knop, it is possible that the knop adjustment can be noticed at depth below the 50m+, but at 30's m I don't feel or notice any difference honestly.

I saw that there is an option to covert the Yoke to Din on the Titan for about 65$, so probably I will take that road.

All this questions came as I'm buying a new regulator for my Pony bottle and I wanted to make sure I do the right investment with my limited resources if I will take the Tec road, I do like to put my hands on a Legend LX, they are sturdy build than the Titan but that is 700$ agaist 400$, what I probably will do, is buy my wife a Micron and take her Titan Lx and put it on my bottle, she doesn't like deep nor is interested in going deep, so I get to spend less money and have two Titan Lx regulators if I deside to go with doubles and isolator manifold, I guess the only bad thing is that it appear the Titan can't be converted to left hand regulator but I'm not 100% on that.

Thanks for your replies, have somebody wants to share their experiences or opinions please continue

there's no "conversion" for left hand regulator, the only consideration is to make sure there are 2lp ports and one HP port on each side to make sure it will work out.

there's no "conversion" for left hand regulator, the only consideration is to make sure there are 2lp ports and one HP port on each side to make sure it will work out.

Sure there are 2nds that can be converted to right or left hand feed. The Scubapro Pilot was probably the first. The R190 is also convertible and I suspect all the R-series probably are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom