Regulator "whistling"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@dmoore19: I think that your dive shop and the manufacturer have given a reasonable response to your reg issue. It's a great sign that both are willing to work with you. It's unfortunate that there is some time pressure for fixing the reg.

If you're going to be renting a reg for your AOW class (and you wouldn't be the first diver to do it), please perform a comprehensive reg check before you leave the shop. I'd also recommend that you do at least one check-out dive on the rental reg at a relatively shallow depth before taking it on the AOW deep dive.

I just talked to the tech. The reg is fixed. He ended up rebuilding it with new parts. One of the problems he was having was the IP kept creeping up on it. He put the new rebuild on it and now the IP is stable and doesn't creep up. He said he cycled it at least 100 times and no more problems. I am going to go to the pool and try it out again. I am keeping my fingers crossed. If it doesn't work this time they are going to have to send it back to Sherwood and let them try to figure it out. I hope I don't have to buy a new reg.

@dmoore19: I think that your dive shop and the manufacturer have given a reasonable response to your reg issue. It's a great sign that both are willing to work with you. It's unfortunate that there is some time pressure for fixing the reg.

If you're going to be renting a reg for your AOW class (and you wouldn't be the first diver to do it), please perform a comprehensive reg check before you leave the shop. I'd also recommend that you do at least one check-out dive on the rental reg at a relatively shallow depth before taking it on the AOW deep dive.

Thanks for your reply. I value your input. Hopefully the reg is fixed this time.

It sounds like the whistling was originating from the first stage then.

If you own a reg, you should also own an i.p. gauge.
Periodic checks with the i.p. gauge are essential to monitoring the "health" of your first stage. You should also know that the normal range of the i.p. is for your first stage. The typical range is approximately 130-150 psi.

Yep, I have an SR1 that does the same thing..... sometimes :). It doesnt always do it, but it's annoying as hell underwater, it's loud in my ears, but unless others are listening they say they cant hear it... /shrug. Granted I've only had mine to 65' or so, and low 50's high 40's temps but have never had any problems with it either.

Yep, I have an SR1 that does the same thing..... sometimes :). It doesnt always do it, but it's annoying as hell underwater, it's loud in my ears, but unless others are listening they say they cant hear it... /shrug. Granted I've only had mine to 65' or so, and low 50's high 40's temps but have never had any problems with it either.

From what the tech told me, he thought it had to do with valve seat leaking. The IP stopped creeping and it appears everything is alright. I am going to use it in the pool this weekend and make sure.

I haven't had mine in water that coool. I am going to do as Bubbletrubble suggested and get the gauge to check the IP. The tech said that when he got it back he checked it out again and found the IP would not stay down, it kept creeping. He changed out the parts and after he put it back together he cycled the reg 100+ times and the the IP stayed steady at 140 PSI. He said that could well have been the problem that caused the whistle.

From what the tech told me, he thought it had to do with valve seat leaking. The IP stopped creeping and it appears everything is alright. I am going to use it in the pool this weekend and make sure.
@dmoore19: The explanation the tech offered for the whistling doesn't make sense to me. If the first stage were allowing the i.p. to creep up due to valve seat issues, eventually one or both second stages would have started to freeflow. You would have noticed if something obvious like that had happened.

Perhaps the tech meant to say something else...

Glad you'll be able to check out the reg in a pool this weekend. Good luck.

@dmoore19: The explanation the tech offered for the whistling doesn't make sense to me. If the first stage were allowing the i.p. to creep up due to valve seat issues, eventually one or both second stages would have started to freeflow. You would have noticed if something obvious like that had happened.

Perhaps the tech meant to say something else...

Glad you'll be able to check out the reg in a pool this weekend. Good luck.

If I don't feel comfortable with the results I WILL NOT dive with it. I would rather spend some more money and get it right with new reg than take a chance. I know people repair and service regs and these things happen but I WILL NOT take a chance with a reg I don't trust. Up to this point I have defended the SR1 because it has been dependable and breathes great. But with some of the problems that have been noted it kind of makes me nervous. Besides, I am somewhat of a gear head. I like the good stuff and presently I can pay for it. I know I am a inexperienced diver but I still like quality gear, designed to do more than I will need. Overkill if you will. For the money I am spending for a trip devoted to diving, I don't want or need problems.

I will still order or buy the IP gauge you have mentioned just to watch the IP as that seems to be the one thing that is a good indicator of the health of the reg. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom