Regulator upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2energycell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!
I'm new to dir and to diving as well, but already have accomplished 106 dives per the last year.
I have already upgraded my jacket to the backplate system.
My question is about regulators. I have very basic system- mk11+r095 scubapro.
I'm thinking about upgrading it to the mk25+s600 scubapro.
What will I get from this upgrade, is it worse upgrading at all?
I thought also to keep mk11+r095 for the stage.
Thanks.

There's no reason to upgrade your regulator unless it isn't doing something that you need it to do. You will not really notice any difference between the MK11 and MK25. Moving to a balanced high performance 2nd stage would yield a noticeable difference in how smoothly the reg breathes, but it's nothing that will really change your diving.

Since you are heading into technical diving, you might wait until you need to get regulators for doubles and then look for something appropriate. (Maybe you're at that point now?) But it's not necessary to get anything expensive. My cave set is a pair of MK10s with a D300 and 109 2nd stage. I paid less than $150 for both 1sts and both 2nds.

The MK25 does have good hose routing for doubles due to the end ports. The MK11/r095 (I'm not familiar with that 2nd stage, but I bet it's a descendant of the R190) will be fine as a stage regulator.

Thanks for your reply. The main target, that I want to achieve - is better breathing underwater, I mean less air consumption.
Will I achieve a better results with s600?
So you are saying, that I can use s600 with mk11, is it correct? Because the local Scubapro dealer said me, that for s600 I will need to upgrade my mk11 to mk25.

Regarding doubles, currently I'm not at that point yet, and I think, that, sidemount attracts me more.

The main target, that I want to achieve - is better breathing underwater, I mean less air consumption.

changing regulatot will not archieve that. Dive more will.

Personally, I am not a big fan of S600 2nd stage. I will take G260 or old G250V over it. I like Mk25 for double hose routing.

So you are saying, that I can use s600 with mk11, is it correct? Because the local Scubapro dealer said me, that for s600 I will need to upgrade my mk11 to mk25.

You can use the s600 with the MK11. Most first stages will have a Intermediate Pressure (IP) of between 125-140 PSI, in the LP hose. The second stage is generally adjusted to the first stage's IP. The s600, being a balanced second can accommodate some variation in IP.

All my regs are MK25/S600/S600 set-ups. I am very happy with these.

If you are going to buy regulators to cover two main tanks (doubles in backmount our sidemount) and stage tank, I'd use the MK11/R095 for stage/deco and buy MK25/S600 for the main tanks.

There is a difference in breathing when you go deeper especially technical diving deeper or have to work hard (currents, excitement, etc.) between the MK11/R095 and MK25/S600 for sure (I use Atomic and SP regulators in my own diving as well as for my dive school/center). The swivel turret in the MK25 makes life a lot easier especially when using them with doubles and/or sidemount.

The MK11 is great for single tank recreational diving but beyond that, you will want the MK25. The S600 is many levels above the R095 in any category.

Last edited:
The Mk11 is a decent first stage. The R095 is a very basic second stage. For recreational dives there is no need to upgrade the Mk11. Upgrading the R095 to a G260, A700 or S600 is a better option.

As stated above, changing your second stage will not change your breathing rate. Being a good physical condition will help to lower your breathing rate. The best way to lower your breathing rate is to dive, dive, dive and dive some more.

I prefer sealed 1 st stage so Mk17/G260 is my suggestion if you prefer SP. Otherwise Apeks(DS4/XTX50).
Deep 6 seems to have good review but it is a new product and only available on line.

I have found some good deal for used mk25evo+a700 and have bought it.
Now I'm wondering whether it's cover can be replaced to carbon cover. Is there option to buy only front cover, black or carbon for a700?
I think the original cover is too shiny :)

Also I have heard some weird theory from some experienced tech diver, that tech divers upgrade this cover to plastic, in order to be noticed of some strong break, if happens, because the metal cover is to strong to show some breaks, but inside it could be broken. Nonsense in my opinion.

Air consumption is not with the regulator but with your buoyancy, trim, the weight you use, kicking style and effort in the water. Diving more will only help if you seek to improve from one dive to the other. Diving overweighted for 10k dives wont help you achieve anything. You should concentrate or spend money in further training such a buoyancy clinics. Being in good shape / fitness could help with that too...

Back
Top Bottom