Regulator storage and use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I purchased an Aqualung Titan from a friend of a friend. It came with the first, second, and ABS octo. I asked him when was the last time it was serviced and he mentioned that all 3 were serviced last year, used a few times, "5 or 6" and tossed in storage. I was asked by an instructor to help teach a class since he had 25 students that day and he wanted someone to keep an eye on the students while they did their confined water skills (I was not helping him teach directly, just watching and pointing out things). I decided to use the Titan since the pool is only 14 feet deep, and if anything were to go wrong I could easily ascend without any trouble.

The reg worked great. No issues with the first, second, or octo. I am a bit wary about taking it to the ocean this weekend since it hasn't been serviced since it was stored.
Should I borrow a buddy's reg for tomorrow's dive? Or would I be okay with the Titan?

One more question: Since I purchased the reg used, is there any way I can take advantage of the Free Parts for Life program? Or am I stuck paying for both labor and kits?

Reviewing the self inspection checklist immediately above your post would be an excellent thing to do on a routine basis: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html Action is always better than hope!

What do you suppose happened during storage, or between the pool usage and going into the ocean that would be bad?

Thank you for that. I looked through the checklist and it looks like the reg is good to go.
I am not sure whether it was stored in an indoor storage facility, or outdoor. I know that outdoor storage rooms tend to get very hot and that heat can swell/deform/destroy orings (it has happened with a few items that I've left in storage). It worked well in the pool for an hour, 30 minutes continuous under water.

The reg worked great. No issues with the first, second, or octo. I am a bit wary about taking it to the ocean this weekend since it hasn't been serviced since it was stored.

The time to be wary is right after it is serviced. Good performance in the pool is a great indicator that you should expect good performance in the ocean. You are not eligible for PFL so you will only need to have it service when performance indicates it is time.

awap, thank you. What should I look for in respect to performance. I know difficulty breathing through it, leaks, free flow, etc. are all issues, but what are some sure-signs that it needs to be checked out?

The regulator checklist is what I use.

The main indicator is the intermediate pressure which means you need a gauge. It is the "blood pressure" of a regulator. The rest is easy - jjust follow the check list.

Thanks again awap. I may actually have one of those lying around from an old project I did. The Titan passed everything else on the checklist though.

did good in pool it's good go dive don't worry dive on

Thanks Jim, that's reassuring. My buddy loaned me his B2 just in case, but I'll be using the Titan.

One more question, along with the Titan a Suunto Gekko was included. It turns on and auto-detects once it's in water, but is it supposed to automatically begin logging the dives? I noticed in the pool at 14 feet the Gekko was reading 0 feet. How exactly do you get the Gekko to start and stop "recording" a dive? I read most of the manual and from the looks of it, it should be automatic.

Back
Top Bottom