Regulator storage and use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the gekko have a free dive mode? If so, try putting it in that mode to see if it registers. If it's like my old Suunto Mosquito you'll lock it out after being down for a few minutes.

Again, just dive it and find out. You'll have a depth gauge and your buddy will have a computer / watch so you have redundancy. Work that into your plan and get a dive in and see how your computer performs. It's probably fine.

I purchased an Aqualung Titan from a friend of a friend. It came with the first, second, and ABS octo. I asked him when was the last time it was serviced and he mentioned that all 3 were serviced last year, used a few times, "5 or 6" and tossed in storage.
I was asked by an instructor to help teach a class since he had 25 students that day and he wanted someone to keep an eye on the students while they did their confined water skills (I was not helping him teach directly, just watching and pointing out things).
I decided to use the Titan since the pool is only 14 feet deep, and if anything were to go wrong I could easily ascend without any trouble.

The reg worked great. No issues with the first, second, or octo. I am a bit wary about taking it to the ocean this weekend since it hasn't been serviced since it was stored.
Should I borrow a buddy's reg for tomorrow's dive? Or would I be okay with the Titan?

One more question: Since I purchased the reg used, is there any way I can take advantage of the Free Parts for Life program? Or am I stuck paying for both labor and kits?

Just to give you a heads up on your exposure to liability...You are exposed to a lawsuit if something happened in the pool. You do not have liability insurance unless you ae a certified DM or instructor and pay for it. "helping out" can cause you to loose your home,car,and yes your dog! Even just "watching and pointing out things" puts you at great risk. You wrote "asked by an instructor to help teach a class" If there was a lawsuit and there was an incident this statement can be construed as you represented yourself as a professional. Does not have to be a dive accident. Could be someone slips on the pool deck and gets hurt. You can be named in a lawsuit and you will have to pay out of your pocket for legal defense.
The instructor also most likely violated standards of their training agency by having 25 people in the pool ..You two are fortunate to have had nothing happen..

Just to give you a heads up on your exposure to liability...You are exposed to a lawsuit if something happened in the pool. You do not have liability insurance unless you ae a certified DM or instructor and pay for it. "helping out" can cause you to loose your home,car,and yes your dog! Even just "watching and pointing out things" puts you at great risk. You wrote "asked by an instructor to help teach a class" If there was a lawsuit and there was an incident this statement can be construed as you represented yourself as a professional. Does not have to be a dive accident. Could be someone slips on the pool deck and gets hurt. You can be named in a lawsuit and you will have to pay out of your pocket for legal defense.
The instructor also most likely violated standards of their training agency by having 25 people in the pool ..You two are fortunate to have had nothing happen..

I am technically still one of his students since I am still going for my advanced, rescue, nitrox, etc. For the most part, I was in the pool practicing my skills. I surfaced twice and pointed out two mistakes that a student did...that was the extent of my "helping."
The instructor is a retired CA attorney (30+ years), I believe if there were any legal issues he would know. Thank you for the heads up though.

Does the gekko have a free dive mode? If so, try putting it in that mode to see if it registers. If it's like my old Suunto Mosquito you'll lock it out after being down for a few minutes.

Again, just dive it and find out. You'll have a depth gauge and your buddy will have a computer / watch so you have redundancy. Work that into your plan and get a dive in and see how your computer performs. It's probably fine.

Thanks chrpai, I know my buddy carries a depth gauge so that won't be an issue. I'll check to see if it has a free dive mode.

I am technically still one of his students since I am still going for my advanced, rescue, nitrox, etc. For the most part, I was in the pool practicing my skills. I surfaced twice and pointed out two mistakes that a student did...that was the extent of my "helping."
The instructor is a retired CA attorney (30+ years), I believe if there were any legal issues he would know. Thank you for the heads up though.

You'd like to think that I know. But 25 students in the pool is a serious violation of any standards I am aware of without any actual certified assistants. Not to mention the disservice it does to the students. Even the limited extent of your "helping" opened you up to liability. As a new diver who are you to evaluate whether they did something right or wrong is the first thing an opposing attorney is going to ask. I would.

But 25 students in the pool is a serious violation of any standards I am aware of without any actual certified assistants.

Yes it is. And oly5050 is right that if there were an accident and you did not have liability insurance, you might be sued. Maybe not successfully, but the legal fees alone could be devastating. Your instructor friend might have an inside line on legal defense, though!

Just to be clear on the situation, your friend was teaching an OW certification class for one of the big agencies (PADI, etc) and he was the sole instructor with 25 students in the water? No certified assistants, meaning DM or AI? That doesn't seem right to me. Did he split up the group so that only some of the students were in the water at the same time? That would make much more sense. If I were you, I'd be very careful about helping an instructor with OW classes, in fact I would not even get in the pool with a class. For most of the students, it's their first time ever breathing under water, lots of things can happen!

Anyhow, you probably didn't expect to get grilled about that...back to the regulator, if it works in the pool at will work in the ocean. A few months of storage is nothing unless it was used in salt water, not rinsed or soaked, then put away wet.

He was not the only certified person. It was him, 2 Dive Masters, and I believe 1 Assistant Instructor. As I've stated, he simple asked if I could keep an eye out. I was not actually teaching skills or anything of the sort. He is very meticulous as a person, so I'm assuming he wasn't breaking any laws.
Yes, of course the class was divided. I just double checked the class sheet, it was actually 19 students. The class was divided into two, I recall him stating that it wouldn't be wise for all of us to practice skills at the same time.

Anyhow, thank you for the help with the regulator. She worked well in the ocean today.

He was not the only certified person. It was him, 2 Dive Masters, and I believe 1 Assistant Instructor. As I've stated, he simple asked if I could keep an eye out. I was not actually teaching skills or anything of the sort. He is very meticulous as a person, so I'm assuming he wasn't breaking any laws.
Yes, of course the class was divided. I just double checked the class sheet, it was actually 19 students. The class was divided into two, I recall him stating that it wouldn't be wise for all of us to practice skills at the same time.

Anyhow, thank you for the help with the regulator. She worked well in the ocean today.

Still too many students. Do not have PADI standards in front of me here, but from memory the ratio is 12 to 1 instructor with 1 insured certified assistant..ratio does not increase after that no matter how many assistants you throw into pool. Usually if an instructor stops and thinks how a reasonably prudent instructor would perform his work he will avoid violating standards. 19 students and only 1 instructor is not a good idea.
How did this class get divided? Only way to divide this large a group is either have 1/2 wait in classroom while rest is in pool,or, have another instructor- not asst instr-share the pool with his group.

Still too many students. Do not have PADI standards in front of me here, but from memory the ratio is 12 to 1 instructor with 1 insured certified assistant..ratio does not increase after that no matter how many assistants you throw into pool. Usually if an instructor stops and thinks how a reasonably prudent instructor would perform his work he will avoid violating standards. 19 students and only 1 instructor is not a good idea.
How did this class get divided? Only way to divide this large a group is either have 1/2 wait in classroom while rest is in pool,or, have another instructor- not asst instr-share the pool with his group.

That is exactly how it was divided. Half of the class (10) stayed inside the class and went over the skills. The other half was in the pool performing those skills (9). Then they were switched around.
Had I known this would turn into a huge legal debate, I would not have mentioned that detail. Thank you for everyone who answered my question about the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom