DIR- GUE Regulator Set Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's wrong with a MK2 for O2 use? It has to be one of the easiest regs to O2 clean, and there is very little material for fuel in a fire. Paired with a 109, seems pretty much ideal to me for a deco reg. The only combustible material in the HP air path is the tiny HP seat, and 2 o-rings (the DIN retainer and HP port). Then in the IP chamber there are both piston o-rings and LP port o-rings. In the 2nd stage only the seat and 2 o-rings. Everything else is metal. And as a bonus, you get that nice moisture from the metal case. It's not like you need a high flow regulator for deco, in fact, it might be a detriment in case of any leaks.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but to me the old simple regs just do the job better. And they're cheap!
For the Mk2, nothing is wrong with it other than its hose routing. I want all my regs to be logistically equivalent. I grab one out of the box and put it on the tank. Which reg and which tank is irrelevant.

109 faceplate can't be removed without tools. A stick or some piece of shell or whatever crammed up in the mechanism or the exhaust valve makes the reg unusable.

For the Mk2, nothing is wrong with it other than its hose routing. I want all my regs to be logistically equivalent. I grab one out of the box and put it on the tank. Which reg and which tank is irrelevant.

109 faceplate can't be removed without tools. A stick or some piece of shell or whatever crammed up in the mechanism or the exhaust valve makes the reg unusable.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the MK2 hose routing on a deco bottle. Why would you use an end port or turret on one? As far as standardizing all your regs and hoses so that 'which reg and tank' is irrelevant, I don't understand that thinking at all. You have a long hose and short hose reg (presumably) plus stage reg set ups and deco reg set ups. They're all different, and honestly if it's confusing to have to choose the correct regulator hose set up for the correct tank, that's hardly an equipment problem.

It is true that the 109 can't be taken apart without a tool. While I have personally never needed to take apart a 2nd stage on a dive, and I've never personally known anyone that has had to do so, I carry the required tool in my pouch, either a small allen key or phillips screwdriver. I don't expect to ever use it, but it's there.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the MK2 hose routing on a deco bottle. Why would you use an end port or turret on one? As far as standardizing all your regs and hoses so that 'which reg and tank' is irrelevant, I don't understand that thinking at all. You have a long hose and short hose reg (presumably) plus stage reg set ups and deco reg set ups. They're all different, and honestly if it's confusing to have to choose the correct regulator hose set up for the correct tank, that's hardly an equipment problem.

It is true that the 109 can't be taken apart without a tool. While I have personally never needed to take apart a 2nd stage on a dive, and I've never personally known anyone that has had to do so, I carry the required tool in my pouch, either a small allen key or phillips screwdriver. I don't expect to ever use it, but it's there.
Or maybe have an extra second stage :wink:

Stage and deco regs are the same. DIR forum.

the radial port orientation on the Mk2 makes the spg hose stick out weirdly. Makes an already busy place (left chest d ring) even worse with that.

I’ve had to clear a 2nd stage on multiple occasions. Allen wrenches and tiny screws are not what you want.

Well I was more along the line of taking the fouled reg out and using the other one that’s already hooked up.
Who has two 2nd stages on one 1st stage when tech diving?

Who has two 2nd stages on one 1st stage when tech diving?
Someone who doesn’t want to count on having to clear a fouled reg, maybe someone who seems predisposed to fouling their Regs so often that they need to make sure it’s easy to take apart or doesn’t follow dogma

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom