Regulator Servicing Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to try to service my own regs. I already purchased both the ScubaTools and Oxyhacker Books. So now I am ready to purchase the following tools: If you have any comments and suggestions I would appreciate them.

1. Strap Wrench - Harbor Freight sells some cheapies but was going to buy an aluminum one from Sears for about $20. Any other choices?

2. I have the 0-3" Magnahelic Gauge but do not have the tubing. Is their any advantage of the Scuba Tools kit with the mouthpiece?

3. First Stage Tool - Should I purchase the Scuba Tools version or the one sold by Piranha and others?

4: Adjustable Hook Pin Spanner - Not sure if this is necessary or if the strap wrench will do, was going to order the one from NESS.

5. Adjustable Face Pin Spanner - was going to order either from NESS or Ebay. Need this for the Beuchat V-10

6. Tribolube from Piranha. Should I buy some Dow 111 for other stuff?

7. The regs I have are either ScubaPro, Apeks, Sherwood, or Beuchat. So I was thinking of these special tools.

A. Apeks cover tool. Is this needed? In the Oxyhacker book he removed the cover with the face pin spanner. Seems like a modified lobster gauge should also undue it. I have TX-100, TX-50, and TX-40's

B. ScubaPro Multi-Tool. Does this do anything besides holding the nut on the first stage that the above tools don't?

C. Are the MK-16 and MK-20 tools absolutely necessary?

Finally is there anything else I should buy? Thanks in advance.

I'm only familiar with SP, so:

1. Strap wrench: if you're thinking about dealing with the 1st stage bodies, the SP Multi-Tools does a better job: the Scubatools version has 2 hook spanners built-in. Alternatively, a hook spanner is good. Actually, the 1st strap wrench I bought broke right off.

2. Magnehelic mouth piece: nice to have. Else just use a piece of tubing held in your mouth.

3. Multi-Tool: I don't know Piranha. The Scubatools one is quite cost effective and basically does:
A. Hook spanner for the body
B. Pin/face spanner for the seat retainer
C. Knurled knob spanner for the SP hoses.
The Scubapro one also deals with the SP diaphragm regs and cost at least 2-3 times more.

4. Adjustable Hook Pin Spanner: not needed if you have the Multi-Tool, see (3.) above.

5. Adjustable Face Pin Spanner: not needed if you have the Multi-Tool, see (3.) above.

6. Dow 111: maybe not if you do high O2 and are anal, because of cross-contamination, else no problem.

7. C The MK20 tools is very nice to have, but there's an alternative assembly procedure that does without it; I tried it a couple of times and it works. You assemble all the seat/bushings/o-ring/spring/seat retainer, and plug the piston from the other end.

Additional tools, required:
- O-ring picks, you can fabricate your own, search for a post I made
- Bullet tool if you have MK5 & MK10's, Scubatools
- Yoke nut, Scubatools, or grind your own
- Long 6mm Allen if you have DIN regs

Additional tools, really nice to have:
- Torque wrenches, 1x3/8" and 1x1/4", el cheapos work good and can be bought for $20 a piece
- Ultrasonic cleaner, about $30

I pretty much agree with Zung. I have a couple of stap wrenches and so far have not found a good use for them..I would not bother. For the mag mouth pieces you can glue a nylon or brass fitting into an old mouth piece- drill hole, insert, put on a little glue or I find a length of plastic tubing works as well.
I would add to your list a couple of 3/8 x24 (SAE fine thread) bolts and nuts. You install them in your LP ports finger tight and snug the nut down on the first stage to give you a handle to hold them with. These can be locked in a vise if you need to really hang on to the reg to loosen a stuck part. Some folks don't like to use steel ones but so far I have not had a problem using steel. I also have a large 1in wrench that I cut out the throat in so that it fits completely on the yoke nut with the yoke setting in the notch I cut. This allows me to get a full bite in the nut. This is one time I like a cheap tool, besided not minding altering a cheap tool, the steel is usually milder so grinding it is a lot easier. You will want a bullet tool, either buy one or you can make one out of a hard wood or plastic dowel sanded down to fit.

I started out trying a strap wrench to remove ambient chambers and, even with a brass screw through the strap material to engage an ambient chamber hole, it did not work very well. A proper pin spanner of scuba multi-tool is much better. While I ended up with a number of separate tool to do the jobs of a good multi-tool; as Mattboy pointed out in another thread, the multi-tool may be cheaper in the long run.

I'm sure I could do my Mk20 without the special tool, maybe fashioning some DIY tools, but it is fairly cheap and makes assembly fairly easy by reliably holding the o-ring and bushing sandwich in place as the piston is inserted.

Thanks for all your input. Over the years I have collected a bunch of regs that I would like to place back in service even if just to resell on ebay. I have Sherwood, Apeks, Beuchat as well as ScubaPro, so I am looking for tools adaptable for all the regs. I figured I can start with the Sherwoods and then on to the Beuchat's to again experience before I tackle the Apeks and ScubaPros.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom