Regulator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikehoosac

Registered
Reaction score
How much would an average price be to service a regulator. Both first,second stage and Octo?

Scubatoys.com does it for $ 60 labor (parts, are extra if not under warranty for $ 10 - $30). At a typical small retail shop I've paid $ 125 approx, part and labor)

We charge 20.00 per stage if serviced within one year plus parts. We also offer front of the line service with a small uncharge. Most shops as you can see by this thread are pretty in line with one another, if you get a price quote way out of the 60-80 for first, second, and octo plus parts I would ask about it.

My price is 45.00 an hour plus parts.
Unless the reg is really bad it usually takes an hour and a quarter of labor time to service (complete rebuild) a 1st, 2nd, octo, and swap the o rings on the SPG spool. So 60 bucks labor.

I also do an annual inspection for a flat 35.00 that includes new hose o rings where required, the SPG spool o rings, clean inside the seconds, check, and if necessary, adjust the IP and cracking pressures. Sometimes a reg does not need a full service. If the IP is locking up nicely where it should and only the seconds need a rebuild (new LP seats and o rings), that's all I do.

No need to tear down a reg that is not acting up and is operating as it should. Many regs can go two or even three years between rebuilds depending on the amount of usage and care they get by the owner. Heck I have one pool reg I use that is going on five years that has not needed serviced. It doesn't get used that much and it's a brand that even though I am a factory trained tech I can't get parts for it except on the sly. So it'll get used until it dies and then I'll use it for classroom demos. Maybe even cut it in half to offer a view of the internals for students.

These prices are plus return shipping that is usually around 12 bucks to US and APO addresses. Insurance is extra but highly recommended on return shipping and that varies with the insured amount.

What isn't mentioned is the cost of parts. Looking at the price of parts from DGX's webpage a rebuild kit for a first stage is from $25 to $50 while a second stage kit is between $20 to $30. So the parts could be $65 or more and that is just for the normal items. If you need a new diaphragm or mouthpiece then you are looking at more money. Try to get an estimate upfront before dropping off the regulator for service. There are too many stories of divers getting unpleasant surprises when they pick up their regulators.

Agree with ams511. A reputable shop should give you a quote up front. And if they run into any issues you should be notified to approve them before the work is completed. I've started taking photos of regs I get that are badly crusted or require extra time due to broken, missing, torn, or otherwise needing additional time and parts. I save those photos with the service record and sometimes email them to the customer.

Back
Top Bottom