regulator service questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
You need to service them every year, at least, regardless of the number of dives.

That was a general rule that a lot of manufactures used to, and some still use, but then others like atomic, Mares, etc have newer technologies where that is not necessary. I remember in high school, you'd change spark plugs at about 20,000 miles... Now I have a truck with 130,000 and original plugs...

Times change based on the technology within.

scubatoys:
That was a general rule that a lot of manufactures used to, and some still use, but then others like atomic, Mares, etc have newer technologies where that is not necessary. I remember in high school, you'd change spark plugs at about 20,000 miles... Now I have a truck with 130,000 and original plugs...

Times change based on the technology within.

I think it may be more a change in philosophy than a change in technology --- But that should probably be another thread.

I still have hockey puck HP seats and color coded o-rings in some of my Scubapro regs.

22 year service tech here. Black and green indicate salt water and generally if it's on the filter it is in the first stage as well. I suggest an annual as that is the only way to be sure. If you do nothing, and continue to have build up you risk affecting the airflow through the filter. Additionally, any deposits on the insides of the first stage have more time to do their dirty deed.
Most divers don't get water in the first stage any other way than through bit drying off the dust cap. Even one or two drops of water on the cap wil migrate first top the filter and then to the first stage.
Odds are that you just need the filter replaced. A good tech should be able to look under t he filter and tell whether he needs to go on and oprn up the first stage.
Another piece of advice: don't ask for, or believe, advice from Divemasters on boats about technical issues regarding scuba gear. They seldom seem to give advice that doesn't wind up making them look like they know it all and the guy back home is either an idiot or bandit. I have traveled and led groups all over the world and some of the dumbest things I have ever heard in scuba have come from boat divemasters. I have also encountered some very savvy DM's but there are more of the former than latter. Take technical questions to a technician.

I would also suggest you mount your regs yourself. Nobody touches mine. I assemble and disassemble my gear myself. That way I know what's happening and if there's a problem I see it for myself and determine whether everything's ok or not.

Larry right about the tune-up .... it use to cost you about 29.95 with the parts back in the 70s .... but just had a major tuneup on my 2001 Ford truck with 116,000 miles on it .... about $400 after they replaced the tune-up parts and the computer stuff that FORD said should have been checked or replaced at 100,000 miles

Some of us are just lazy. We spend several thousands to go on a week long liveaboard dive boat and expect our gear to be taken care of by the deck hands. There nothing like comming back after a great dive and leaving your wet gear attached to the rack and comming back an hour or two later finding it all changed out with a fresh tank ready to go .... I still check to make sure the air is turned on and everything is hooked up .... after my week dive is over if they have provided me with great service then I'll leave a good tip .... never though about how much punishment he gear is taking because someone else is taking care of it for me while I'm having the time of my life ................anyway ... the yearly service at the LDS should take care of any problems right ?

Black and green deposits on filter typically imply saltwater. There's a chance you will find this on the interior of the reg as well (probably comes from water on the dust cap). Any deposits on the filter affects the flow of air through the filter. Sounds like it time for an annual on your reg. This time take it to someone that knows what they are talking about - the last person didn't!
Mudturtle

I've heard that part of the idea of servicing the regulator once a year is that oxygen compatible lubricants gets dried up after a year.

how common is it for the boat crew to assemble your gear? I personally would not be comfortable with someone i didnt know messing with my gear.

Back
Top Bottom