Regulator Second Stage Hose Swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omniswivel, buy the best and buy it once:

Omniswivel

Many online retailers have them. They are another point of failure in your system so maintain accordingly. I've had 2nd stages unscrew, but have not had an omni blow yet. I always check them before dives.

Can anyone recommend a regulator SS Hose Swivel that would not cause any degradation in regulator performance and is reliable? (Links please)
Can anyone document measureable, and meaningful, degradation in regulator performance with a regulator SS Hose Swivel (Links please)?

Any swivel with a screw thru it is a major failure point, and the failures are well documented on this board. Feel free to do your own research on "Swivel" and it will become apparent you do not want one on your kit. Remember a LP failure can empty a tank in seconds. There is one style that is captured.

Not these.
SW-S2-155x220.jpg

A 90 degree swivel is almost a zero failure rate as you are only adding in an extra o-ring.

Personally a 5-7ft hose is ideal as it wraps tight to the body, provides an easy means for air shares, and used with a bungee backup, makes sure you always have an air source close to your mouth.

To me, these feel like an anchor, but a few folks on this board like them: Swivel [SM swivel] - $25.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!. These do not have the "death screw".

What are you trying to achieve with the swivel? Many times you can solve it with a proper length hose. When that doesn't work, I prefer a fixed angle adapter on my second stage, and swivels on my first stage.

See below....

profilepic180653_1.gif

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, and not trying to argue in favor of, or against, a 360 degree swivel:
Any swivel with a screw thru it is a major failure point, and the failures are well documented on this board.
I understand the point about a screw. It is my understanding that, in the past (multiple years ago) there were reported failures of Omni-brand 360 degree swivels, related to the screw I believe. It was my understanding that the problem was corrected, by re-engineering, re-design, or a change in manufacturing process. (Although it is my subjective impression that there may even have been a specific batch issue, that is tenuous at best.)

I am aware that there have been reports of failures of non-Omini brand 360 degree swivels.

Is anyone aware of (read that as, can document) a failure of a current production Omni-brand 360 degree swivel occurring in the past three (3) years?

This issue of swivel reliability seems to come up periodically, and I am interested in whether the perception of failure can be substantiated?

Any swivel with a screw thru it is a major failure point, and the failures are well documented on this board. Feel free to do your own research on "Swivel" and it will become apparent you do not want one on your kit. Remember a LP failure can empty a tank in seconds. There is one style that is captured.

Not these.
SW-S2-155x220.jpg

A 90 degree swivel is almost a zero failure rate as you are only adding in an extra o-ring.

Personally a 5-7ft hose is ideal as it wraps tight to the body, provides an easy means for air shares, and used with a bungee backup, makes sure you always have an air source close to your mouth.

yep, I love it.. I have 4 of them with all their failure points I still want more. I agree it has failure points, and I maintain them religiously. 90's are OK, but I still prefer the omni as its more comfortable to me. Call the scuba police.. I'm sticking with Omni.

When the Omni's are assembled correctly there is very little likelihood of it failing. They are not for the casual, lazy, throw you equipment in your closet and maintain once a year type person...if thats you you probably should not worry about 90's and swivels anyway.

+1 for the simple angle adapter. One static o-ring on a fitting is minimal risk compared to a moving parts on a swivel with a dynamic (moving) o-ring plus a static o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom