Regulator Repair Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captndale

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
There is finally a way that the average diver with some mechanical aptitude can get the training that he or she needs to do their own equipment repair.

Most manufacturers will only train their dealers to repair their products. The cost to provide this training is considerable but they usually do not charge thier dealers - its part of the service. They do not provide training for the general public because they want to protect their dealers. There is also the liability problem and the difficulty in getting updated maintenance and technical bulletins out to everyone who needs them.

Generally, the certification agencies no not want to get nvolved in training technicians because they are concerned with liability issues and they do not want to be seen as helping divers compet with the LDS for service revenue.

Just recently one agency announced a regulator training course. They are operating it in conjunction with a single equipment manufacturer - Edge. It is limited to one company's regulators and only offered to divers holding technical certification.

Many divers would be capable of doing their own regulator service and repair if they they could get the proper training and had the tools, repair diagrams and access to parts. Tools, repair diagrams and parts are available over the internet for most common brands of regulators to those who are willing to look for them. What is left is access to training.

Like other scuba training, an instructor who wants to teach equipment repair has to be certified to teach it in order to be covered by their liability insurance. The problem is that none of the certification agencies want to certify instructors to teach this course - until now.

Recognizing the need, I have designed a course to train the average diver (AOW or higher) to service his or her own regulators, BC's and tank valves. The course title is "Basic Scuba Maintenance and Repair Technician." I have just gotten the course approved as a distinctive specialty by MDEA. I am an MDEA Instructor Evaluator and I may certify both divers and instructors in this specialty. Divers must be at least certified to AOW and have reasonable mechanical aptitude. Instructors need not be certified through MDEA but must be current insured instructors with a recognized agency and must have at least one year's experience working in a position in which their responsibilities included regulator service. Instructors must have performed at least 50 regulator service jobs.

Anyone who is interested in obtaining this training may contact me.

This is an awesome offering. I will have to save up for a few months and get my AOW so I can apply for this.
This is mostly just a bump. If you wanted a scuba job but were distressed by the idiotic cycle of conflicting demands, this sounds like it might be the ticket to a job.

Mark Palambra at VA Scuba has been offering a reg repair course through SSI/TDI for a few years now. How is this different?

The unfortunate thing here is that the ability to teach reg repair is still tied to scuba instruction. No offense but servicing 50 regs and 1 year experience where it might be an additional duty does not make one an expert in reg repair let alone qualified to teach it.

I havent heard of the course through SSI/TDI, I wish someone had mentioned it when I was repairing a lot of regs. I will look into it and see how it compares to this one.
(a side note: When I asked about this same thing on here nobody mentioned this course. The guy at my lds who is TDI certified didnt know about it either. Seems like maybe it needs promoting?)

Mark Palambra at VA Scuba has been offering a reg repair course through SSI/TDI for a few years now. How is this different?

The unfortunate thing here is that the ability to teach reg repair is still tied to scuba instruction. No offense but servicing 50 regs and 1 year experience where it might be an additional duty does not make one an expert in reg repair let alone qualified to teach it.

Mark Palomba Va Sscuba is a great guy, I highly recommend his shop and his classes. absolutely top notch place.

There is a Scuba equipment maintenance course or something of the like. It was mentioned in the last classes of my SSI OWD course as a continuation to our training. I don't know the exact name of the course or if it's still available.
However, as there is a lot of different manufacturers and models, I can hardly imagine of a tech course that allows anyone to service all types of regulators and all types of scuba gear.
It's like a car technician.

Last edited:
I am finding there is a bit more to this than just taking a course on general reg servicing. Here are some issues I found through a recent experience at my local LDS.

1. There is no legal requirement for servicing. Just like there is no legal requirement for oil changes in your car. Granted, if it is under warranty, it might be wise to have the service performed, but you won't go to jail or be punished in any way if you don't.

2. There is little industry regulation on what comprises a "service" effort. The shop I took my Sherwood regulator to (the only Sherwood service center in town) does not provide any paperwork regarding what was done or any "certification". All I got was a receipt for service. It didn't work after their service, I took it back, it was looked at and "serviced" again, and I was charged again, even though I was told nothing was wrong. They keep electronic records, but don't provide that info to customers. Their electronic record showed that the IP was out of tolerance with Sherwood Specifications, but they didn't know that/nor did the inform me of it.

3. There are no Scuba Police. As an official with Sherwood told me, even though the Sherwood President contacted the LDS owner, he wouldn't/couldn't do anything about the shop not knowing what they were doing.

4. The technician and the shop owner, who were both trained (is certified correct?) in a Sherwood specific course, neither knew how the regulator worked, nor what the parts in the "service kit" were for, and argued that parts for the flow control device were included or that the flow control device was even necessary! Their ignorance ultimately resulted in destruction of my First Stage.

Not that they did performed an incorrect procedure, but, over the years, they didn't perform requisite (per the manufacturer) procedure which ultimately culminated in destruction with the correct procedure was attempted. To use the oil change analogy (and I admit it is not a great analogy), the LDS simply changed the oil, but not the filter...not knowing there even was a filter (so they told me). After years of this filter not being changed, it eventually plugged up the system (engine or regulator). Subsequent oil changes didn't fix the problem, but didn't stop them from changing for the changes. They even hooked up a pressure gauge, (like for oil pressure) and the Intermediate Pressure (oil pressure) was low, out of manufactures specification. They didn't alert me to that problem, even though they recorded the actual pressure in their logs, they didn't tell me. I ended up sending the regs off to a specialty shop, who found the low pressure problem, but the filter retaining screw (oil filter canister) was seized. After alerting me of this, I authorized excessive use of force (the reg was useless as it was) and the retaining screw (oil filter canister) stripped out. The only repair was to replace the first stage body (engine block) and then transfer all the other pieces (crankshaft, pistons, etc.) to the new body (block). That cost more than a new regulator.

So, just being an authorized technician doesn't mean you have any knowledge, or that you wish to use/remember the knowledge imparted years ago. Or, you just to lazy to do it right.

5. Simply having generic training will not necessarily help procure manufacturer's specific service/replacement parts. Most won't sell to the public. I'm not sure that a generic (i.e., not one of their unique courses) would make any difference. There is also the concern of Tech Bulletins and changes in procedures which wouldn't automatically be provided as they are to authorized service techs.

6. I'm not sure if taking this course would help enrolling in manufacture's unique courses without being associated otherwise with the manufacture.

7. After the LDS failed to realize (and therefore couldn't advise me) the damage to my regulator resulting in total destruction of the regulator I was lucky enough to find Edge/HOG regulators on sale last Black Friday. They have a manufacture's sponsored repair class, and will sell manufacture repair (service) kits to anyone completing this course. It's not to make you a reg tech for your livelihood. Indeed it's geared toward tech divers who generally need to know, and generally work on their own equipment.

So, in the end, I think one should ask, why do you want a reg repair course? If it is to only work on your own personal regs, and you have access to the parts, then this might be just the ticket. I would probably have looked seriously into this before my above mentioned experience. If, on the other hand, you think this might open doors to a business of regulator repair, I think you need to do a lot more research and see if indeed that would work, realistically, legally, and technically. Granted there are no legally required certifications for reg repairs, but I am sure the lawyers will find that you touching "life support equipment" will open your legal exposure should anything happen. I'm not sure what kind of insurance you'd need for doing this as a business (unaffiliated with a manufacturer).

Though I'd love to learn to service my own regs, I'd be reluctant to service anyone elses regs.
The fear of liability should something go wrong is something I'd rather not live with.
Killing yourself is one thing, killing someone else is altogether different.

SCUBA regulators are a life support system. Nothing to fool around with. The only way to properly learn equipment repair is thru a certificated, IN-HOUSE program under the instruction of a master technician. I am currently taking a 6 day course at Diving Technologies International in South Florida under the tutilage of Rudy Mola, well know for R&D of most manufacturers. The course covers all regulator types as well as certification to tag my own VIPs. I am a professional yacht captain who is mostly based outside the US and want the certification and training to work on my own rigs. I am enjoying this course and find it very challenging. Believe me when I say, regulator repair is NOT for everyone.

Rudy Mola of Diving Technologies International (google it). offers training in scuba repair and more.
:goingdown:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom