Regulator questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homo maris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have first to thank everyone here for the hours of wonderful advice I have read here.:D

I am considering buying a regulator, mainly because I am tired of the wide spread of experiences with rentals (from good to lousy) and increasingly conscious of the risk I take with loaners (e.g. regs left as spare in the shed).

First a bit about my diving conditions
I dive in tropical waters only for recreation and marine conservation, often in remote areas (e.g. marine protected areas, Papua New Guinea) where there is little to no support.
I have an AOW and so far almost all my dives have lasted more than 1hr (on AL80 and steel) - I don't use much air (I guess years of freediving pay off). I just switched to a DSS plastic 20L wing which is perfect for me. I will get a TDI Nitrox course, mainly to be safer on repeated dives so I will dive Nitrox. In the future, I am likely to dive deep, to do wrecks and visit caverns/caves in the Yucatan. I am located in the USA (Arlington, VA).

Now about the research I did
I started by wanting a Poseidon XStream (less parts=less risk of failure) that my LDS carries but got sticker shock (still open to it if it is that much safer) , looked at the Scubabro MK25/S600 (no LDS suport), briefly considered the Mares Abyss (cheapest and LDS support but not sales), reviewed the Aualung Legend LX and landed, like many here, on the Apex brand. I am thus set to buy an Apex ATX100 and ATX40 octo.

My LDS (Splash dive center and they are great) does not carry Apeks but another local one does so I went there today. Before that, I checked online prices at DiveInn and Leisurepro. The 3 stage combo was $517 and $520 respectively. I was set to pay $100 or so more to a LDS.

I asked the LDS how much for service. $15/stage if you buy it from us otherwise $25/stage. Ok $30 more for an outsider is fair.

Then the LDS told me the price of the ATX100 ALONE was $675, another $175 or so for the ATX40. I asked if I would get a discount for buying both - NO
I asked for a price match - NO, its $850 take it or leave it (they did not say it that way but the tone was there) - I left, figuring out I'd buy it online for $300 less (10 yrs of their premium service cost).

So I still have a few questions that I hope to find answers to here:

1. I dive with Yoke and DIN tanks depending on where I am. Should I buy a DIN setup with a Yoke adapter (seems to make sense to me) or a Yoke setup with a DIN adapter?

2. Do you know of a LDS close to Arlington VA where I can get Apeks at a reasonable price? (I tried the Dive Shop).

3. Where would you buy your Apeks online? How about warranty? My current plan is to check Dive Sports then Leisurepro or DiveInn. I'd prefer to have the warranty.

4. If I don't get a warranty. Do you guys/gals self service your regs? If so where do you get the kits?

Thanks a lot,
JL

1. Get DIN and then get the convert kit alone.
2. No... Where is VA? :)
3. Diveinn....... divetank.......... divesports
4. get the online tech service for the annual service...(very good and cheap)

Hoosier:

1. Thanks.
2. VA is Virginia, a state of the USA
3. divetank does not seem to sell Apeks
4. Where can I get the online tech service for the annual service?

JL

homo maris:
Hoosier:

1. Thanks.
2. VA is Virginia, a state of the USA
3. divetank does not seem to sell Apeks
4. Where can I get the online tech service for the annual service?

JL

1. You're welcome
2. I though it is a underwater state.:wink: Kidding.. I have been to Fairfax, VA many times.
3. Are you sure? www.divetank.com
4. PM me....

I have purchased Apeks regs from Divetank, but would probably use www.divesports.com in the future. The are located in Alabama, offer great prices, and you get the US warranty. So parts are free for life with annual servicing, which you don't get with a Divetank purchased reg. You will have to call either Divetank or Divesports to get information and prices. You can't purchase Apeks gear from them "click and purchase" on their internet sites.

edit: I do my own servicing. Give me a pm about kits if you are interested. You can get them from European sites pretty easily, but there are sources in the US, they just don't advertise since they aren't AquaLung/Apeks dealers. I can get you hooked up with some kits if need them.

I think your primary problem is the decision on local dive shop support and service. If you insist on LDS support and plan to maintain a warrenty including a "free" parts program, then your options will have to accomodate those parameters. And I don't think you can do that with Apeks or a host of other brands without purchasing from an LDS, usually at prices quite a bit higher than your online options.

There are a whole bunch of perfectly good high performance regs out there. I suggest you reopen that list so you have plenty of regs to chose from and then expand your search for an LDS you can deal with. Local is preferable if that is how you plan to get support but don't overlook the online authorized dealers like scubatoys and divesport. Many brands don't permit online sale but the authorized guys can help you with somne quality regs from manufacturers that are breaking ranks and supporting competatively priced online sales with full warrenty.

I think you have to do a bit more shopping. Good Luck

The Dive Shop is expensive, but their service people are very good. You might also try the shop in Chantilly (Adventure Sports) who used to sell Apeks before it became so popular. They used to have a good tech there, but that was about 5 years ago. Also, a trip to Atlantic Edge (in Gaitherburg, MD) might be worthwhile. Don't bother with the shop in D.C.

Everyone thank you very much. Here is what I am doing in the hope that it helps someone later.

1. I have gone with the DIN setup with the Apeks adapter which protects the threads better than a generic one. I am getting ATX100+ATX50+Diverite SPG.

2. I did not find a LDS. I will stick with the relationship I have with my LDS for everything but the regs. I will start a new relationship with the NSLDS (not so local DS) who is selling me the regs.

3. Dive Sport made the whole thing so easy that I ended up ordering more from them than I had initially planned. They were a pleasure to deal with so far.

4. I will PM Hoosier and Dirthead

Thank you again for the rapid responses.

JL

hoosier:
1. Get DIN and then get the convert kit alone.
2. No... Where is VA? :)
3. Diveinn....... divetank.......... divesports
4. get the online tech service for the annual service...(very good and cheap)

I second your first point. Staying din and converting to yoke when needed is VERY helpful even though it might not seem like you would ever use it.

homo maris:
Everyone thank you very much. Here is what I am doing in the hope that it helps someone later.

1. I have gone with the DIN setup with the Apeks adapter which protects the threads better than a generic one. I am getting ATX100+ATX50+Diverite SPG.

2. I did not find a LDS. I will stick with the relationship I have with my LDS for everything but the regs. I will start a new relationship with the NSLDS (not so local DS) who is selling me the regs.

3. Dive Sport made the whole thing so easy that I ended up ordering more from them than I had initially planned. They were a pleasure to deal with so far.

4. I will PM Hoosier and Dirthead

Thank you again for the rapid responses.

JL

You'll be extremly happy with your choice and who you bought it from.
Phil at Dive Sports is great to deal with.

the DIN and convertor is the way to go. I think the DIN regulator is the
same price as the Yoke one, so your only extra cost is the adapter, but
it gives you many more options down the road for tank choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom