Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

High Plains Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Since I learned to dive, I have read the basic theory on how a regulator works. I now have more specific questions on regulator failures. 1. I take it, the first stage is the most apt to fail? If it does, most regulators will free flow? 2. Is there any other tale-tell signs a regulator is not up to snuff, besides the basic surface checks that are taught in a basic scuba class?
3. How far should one go past the one year inspection? If the regulator is working fine, I wound not think a couple of weeks would make a hugh difference in safety, but maybe I need corrected. Thanks for some advice :wink:

High Plains Diver:
Since I learned to dive, I have read the basic theory on how a regulator works. I now have more specific questions on regulator failures. 1. I take it, the first stage is the most apt to fail? If it does, most regulators will free flow? 2. Is there any other tale-tell signs a regulator is not up to snuff, besides the basic surface checks that are taught in a basic scuba class?
3. How far should one go past the one year inspection? If the regulator is working fine, I wound not think a couple of weeks would make a hugh difference in safety, but maybe I need corrected. Thanks for some advice :wink:

1. It's not always easy to figure out why a regulator if free flowing once it starts happening under water. I'd say that the 2nd stage is more prone problems because it takes more abuse but that's just subjective. In either case it's most common for a regulator with problems to free flow. And although it sounds scary most free flows are not the violent tank-emptying-in-15-seconds types of free-flows from your nightmares. Many "free flows" resemble exhaling more than rocket launching,

2. funny noises. Whistling, for example. If you get it serviced once a year chances are you'll never hear funny noises. You can also attach your reg to a thing called an IP meter. It's like a little spg that you can attach to the inflator hose. Your LDS can show you one. Anyway the IP meter can show you if the pressure inside the 1st stage is slowly building up (which is not good) before you actually get a free flowing reg from it. It's a handy and easy little test.

3. I have a reg that hasn't been serviced in about 10 years and it's still going fine. I don't dive with it but I use it sometimes with an air gun to do things like blow up air-mattresses and as a blow gun for all kinds of things. I'd say you an go a little over the 1 year limit but regular service is the key to trouble free diving.

R..

High Plains Diver:

Lots of posts on this under a variety of Thread titles. To summarize: A regulator that is serviced annually, or after the number of dives specified by the manufacturer is essentially trouble free. The annual or frequent dives service as recommended by the manufacturer is mandatory. The annual service in the same month as purchased new counts as on time.

But this does not relieve you of each use inspection. At least daily, or depending on dive conditions before each dive, inspect all hoses, connectors, fitting, etc. to see they look like they are supposed to. If you don't know what that is ask your dealer to show you. Then before each and every dive unless diving in cold water where freeze up is a potential breath through all stages for 3-4 breaths. If in freeze up conditions do the breathing check immediately after submerging and before going to any depth.

Every few dives swap regulator stages while under water. Use both second stages to be sure they are both functioning properly at depth. If you discover a problem get it fixed immediately.

Then rinse and properly store your regulator after each use.

As of today I have never heard of a documented regulator malfunction that presented a life threatening condition if these steps were followed. There have been free flows on the surface, freeze ups, foreign objects in the regulators., etc. But nothing that occured in a situation that made it life threatening.

ArcticDiver:
The annual or frequent dives service as recommended by the manufacturer is mandatory. The annual service in the same month as purchased new counts as on time.

This is true, but only in so far as service under warranty is concerned. For example, Mares regulators will not be covered under their warranty if the regulator is not serviced yearly on the month it was purchased. According to what my LDS, and my instructor have advised me, if the regulators are serviced outside the time prescribed for warranty coverage, the following service would need to be performed, again, within the original month of purchase for the warranty to resume.

Rick

High Plains Diver:
It depends on how well you take care of your gear between servicing. I have one reg that I haven't serviced in two years and it works fine. You can probably get three years or so between servicing IF you take exceptional care of your gear. When you get home after a salt water dive, fill up a large bucket with fresh water. Make sure you dust cap is on tight and let your reg soak for a few hours or more. If you do this after every dive, your regs should remain clean and trouble free.

1. I take it, the first stage is the most apt to fail? If it does, most regulators will free flow?

Depends upon what kind of diving you do most often, but the first stage probably goes more often than a second. Certainly in my neighborhood. Adiabatic cooling tends to freeze first stages, trash tends to jam second stages.

2. Is there any other tale-tell signs a regulator is not up to snuff, besides the basic surface checks that are taught in a basic scuba class?

Changes in ease of breathing, changes in amount of water passed through the diaphragm, any change in the sound of the regulator, positive draw tests, negative draw tests, all indicate possible problems. Changes in the intermediate pressure are also a problem, but you'll need a gauge for that.

3. How far should one go past the one year inspection? If the regulator is working fine, I wound not think a couple of weeks would make a hugh difference in safety, but maybe I need corrected.

A couple of weeks one way or the other usually won't make any difference. If you dive a lot, you may need to get your regulators serviced more often than annually. If you have a warranty that's based upon annual or bi-annual service, you probably want to stick to that schedule. Remember that most regulator failures occur shortly after service, so be sure to give your newly serviced reg a good checkout before you jump into 100 feet of water.

Scubaguy62:
This is true, but only in so far as service under warranty is concerned.
Rick

Didn't I say the reg needed to serviced in the same month as purchased? So, why the argument?

:icon5:

First stages tend to be very reliable, particularly piston first stages. The most common fisrt stage failure is a worn HP seat that will no longer seal. This results in intermediate pressure "creep" that will ultimately result in a slight freeflow as the second stage vents the excess pressure.

Second stages are also fairly relaible and the most common failure is a worn low pressure seat that will result in a slight freeflow. If the freeflow starts as soon as the reg is pressurized, the second stage is the culprit. if the freeflow starts several seconds to several minutes after the reg is pressurized, the first stage is usually the problem.

With an adjustable second stage you can crank the knob in and stop the freeflow from a worn LP seat, but at the cost of higher cracking effort. Many people have worn second stage seats and less than optimum performing regs and don't even know it.

For this reason alone an annual service is a good idea. Unless the reg is stored with the lever depressed the LP seat will take a set over the course of the year and performance and ease of breathing will suffer.

A good piston first stage can probably go 4-5 years between overhauls if it is used in fresh water and/or rinsed VERY thoroughly after EVERY dive and if you are only diving a dozen or so dives per year.

A first stage that sees a hundred dives per year or gets only the occassional casual dip in the rinse bucket, or gets left lying around with no dust cap etc, needs to be thoroughly cleaned and serviced every year as any dirt or salt crystals inside will eat the inner surfaces and o-rings alive if left in service longer than a year or so.

As a tech I get to see just how bad a reg can get in the 12-15 months since I saw it last and I also get to know what divers take care of their equipment and what divers don't. It's kinda like Santa Claus knowing who has been naughty and who's been nice.

I can't speak for other brands, but SP dealers have some lattitude on the annual service/warranty thing. A month or two or maybe even six is probably acceptable under warranty depending on the suituation. The situation will probably include how good a customer you are. The free parts cost SP a lot of money and the dealer does not want to lose a good thing, but they also need to be reasonable with the customer. 13 months since the last service should not be a big deal.

Even after several years since the last annual servicer, if the customer pays for the parts for a fresh annual service this year, the warranty will be reinstated and free parts are again available at subsequent annual services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom