Regulator Purchasing Internationally

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redman4455

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

First time poster, long time reader. I'm an expat in South Africa that got into diving about a year ago. I've been purchasing my equipment slowly along the way, last thing I need to complete the set is a regulator. Deepest I go is 30 m and although I'm in warm water in the Indian Ocean I want a regulator that is flexible enough to handle colder water in California where I am from.

I've been partial to scubapro, most of my gear came from them. They just seemed to have something that fit me better and was more appealing to my eye. However for my reg I'm open to whatever is quality and available for service wherever I go. I'm also not one to go the cheap route but I also don't care for tip top of the line when I don't need it. I would buy the mk25 a700 but what the heck for lol. Something in between but on the top end of between would be nice.

Anyway, on to my question. Based on what I've said above, what do you recommend? Does anyone have experience purchasing in South Africa? DIN, yoke, both? I was eyeballing mk17/21 g260/s560 but I don't know a lot about everyone else.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

If you want a cold water capable regulator I would recommend a MK17/G260. Diaphragm regulators resist freezing better than piston regulators and G260 has a metal air barrel that helps resist freezing. You could purchase the s560 and have the plastic barrel replaced latter on with a metal barrel (Its $40 or so) making it a S600 when you arrive in the states.

I have never dove in California but wonder if you really need a cold water reg. Do the water temps hit the low 40s upper 30s?

To be honest the coldest I ever went in California was about 55 degrees or so in Laguna. I doubt I will be going into water in the 30-40 degree range, but you never know I guess. I wouldn't mind spending an extra hundred or so now in case that ever happens though. Better that than spending a bunch of money on one then come to find out I needed something different. Just having that capability would be worth it to me.

Interesting note about the S560 and turning it into a S600. Would that be something I can do or would an authorized dealer be able to do that without voiding any of SP's warranties?

Thanks for the tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom