Regulator post dive recommendations vs Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divescape

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
To the best of my knowledge most manufacturers recommend that you soak your regulator for 15min in fresh water whilst still under pressure. Given the inconvenience of this, especially if you travel to your dive site, my question is what you do in reality that will still help to safeguard the longevity of your regs?

Rinse with fresh water asap after the dive. If no fresh available, prevent the salt water from drying with a wet towel etc.
Be anal about drying the dustcap (with a towel) before putting it on the 1st stage.
Shake as much water out of the 2nd stages before hanging to dry.
Dry out of direct sunlight.
Store away from chemical product.
Service the reg periodically.
Get a simple Intermediate Pressure Gauge (hooks on to BCD low pressure inflator hose) to check for signs of I.P. 'creep'. This is 'creep' is to be expected after an overhaul and is a normal part of internal parts settling in.

Don't overthink it. They're fairly rugged.

Just use the dust cap, that's what it's for. It'll keep water out of the first stage. If you don't believe it, put it on and try to suck some air from the 2nd stage. Unless you have a seat saver that allows air to travel in one 2nd stage and out the other, or you have a leaky 2nd stage, you should not be able to pull any air. Ergo,,,it's okay to soak it. And soak it you should, rinsing alone will not get all the salt deposits out.

I can't believe how often this comes up....if you do a search you'll find lots of threads about it. It seems to be a very misunderstood topic.

It depends on the regulator. If the first stage is sealed, then the only major path of water into the inner workings of the regulator is through the inlet fitting so ensuring that stays dry and has an o-ring sealed dust cap is important, but a quick rinse will work pretty well to clean any salt off the exterior.

Whether the first stage is sealed or unsealed, with a sealed dust cap in place, you can always rinse the first stage thoroughly in warm water at home later, just avoid soaking unless you are absolutely sure the dust cap is sealing correctly. Trying to inhale through the reg will reveal any leaks - and a leak could be through the first stage dust cap or through the second stage diaphragm or exhaust valve. If you can't suck ANY air through the reg with the dust cap in place, it's safe to soak. If you can draw some air through the regulator it's a clue that their may be an issue with a leaking diaphragm or exhaust valve in the second stage. In some cases it can just be dirt or salt on the lip of an exhaust valve or seat, so rinse the second stage thoroughly and check again. If the problem persists consult a reg tech. In some cases a very slight leak when sucking as hard as you can is "normal", but any significant leak indicates a problem.

When you soak the regulator try to avoid depressing the purge as that will open the valve in the second stage and allow water to enter the LP hose and migrate to the first stage. If the reg has a seat saver feature that leaves the seat off the orifice in the second stage, disable it or if you can't, don't soak the second stage, just rinse it with the second stage hanging by the hose.

A couple post dive checks will help you find problems before the next dive day.

1) While you still have a tank on the boat (assuming you don't own your own tanks) a IP gauge will let you check the IP to ensure the swing is normal (10-20 psi), the lock up is solid (the needle swings up and stops fairly "solidly, rather than gradually slowing to a stop), there is no creep (the needle actually stops and holds at a given pressure with no movement) and the IP is in the correct range (usually 120-145 psi). If you don't dive on a regular basis, check it again as a pre-dive check. Checking IP as part of a post dive or pre-dive check is always a good idea, however, I disagree with a comment above as if you're having IP creep after an overhaul, find a new tech because it is not normal and an reg with creeping IP should not leave the test bench until the problem is resolved and the creeping has stopped.

2) The above mentioned suck test is easy to do by just turning off the valve on the tank and breathing the residual air in the reg down, until there nothing left. At that point the reg is still sealed on the valve and you should get no air through the reg, exhaust valve or diaphragm.

when traveling most rinse tanks are filthy. I just keep the dust cap on when not in use and wait to clean until I am home. It has been my experience that it is near impossible to maintain complete control over the reg (while traveling) so I just gave up and resigned myself to the fact that I will do a full tear down and clean after each trip.

I'm still diving the regs I bought in 1989. Post dive, ensure dust cap is on securely, soak regs in rinse tank with other gear. Never had a problem.

It's auto-correct via Tapatalk 2, figure it out. :D

You don't need to soak them for 15 mins under pressure. Shake them around in fresh water and run water into the mouth piece of the 2nd and alternate. Make sure you keep the dust cap on and DO NOT push the purge button while in the water. They are saying do it under pressure in case you push the purge button. If it is not under pressure, in the water and you push the purge you will get water in the hose. Other than that keep it out of direct sun light and store them in the house not the garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom