Regulator Necklace on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many divers that are not DMs or instructors actually have donated in real life, I wonder? I was involved in a buddy breathing scenario in the late 1980's before the people I dived with as well as myself started using octo regs. Prior to that the last time I did it was in the pool in 1968. The only time my octo reg is used is testing at the beginning of a dive. It is far and way the most expensive and unused piece of gear I own.

As I posted earlier I remove the octo from my primary when using independent doubles because both sec stages have hoses long enough for OW donation which is all I need. I still call one primary and one secondary. The difference for my rig is the primary is on the left and supports my wing inflation. The tank/reg on the left is secondary and has only a SPG and the sec stage.

I share gas many times a year just as practice, or to share all available gas (1 diver on doubles, 1 w/ single tank, etc) since that also serves as air sharing practice. Yeah germs, but since I’m married I imagine my exposure is nothing compared to normal dating life, let alone a single city dweller’s (I live in the boondocks) commute sharing buses/subway handrails with hundreds of other people. Sharing a reg underwater with 2-10 people a year is unlikely to be the critical act.

I share gas many times a year just as practice, or to share all available gas (1 diver on doubles, 1 w/ single tank, etc) since that also serves as air sharing practice. Yeah germs, but since I’m married I imagine my exposure is nothing compared to normal dating life, let alone a single city dweller’s (I live in the boondocks) commute sharing buses/subway handrails with hundreds of other people. Sharing a reg underwater with 2-10 people a year is unlikely to be the critical act.

I was trained in 1968 when buddy breathing was the only method of air sharing so passing a regulator from person to person isn't something I'm concerned about.

This isn't that unique, among people who actually secure regulators. The two main things to keep in mind with the double-necklace, is (1) can you switch regulators without being tangled. Verify it underwater. The upper regulator can get in the way of the lower one. (2) Can you donate a regulator directly ... without having to slip the necklace over your head/mask/etc? A breakaway-style necklace bungee can do the trick.

This comment isn't necessarily directed at you, but rather anyone who might read this and be considering a similar setup.

No offense taken. To answer your question:
1. Yes. It is not a problem.
2. Yes. I use rubber necklaces that slip over the reg mouthpiece, and I, or a buddy/anyone OOA, can pull the reg straight off the necklace as easy as any octo holder I have used. Having to take the necklace off over the head before donating would be a non-starter.

I tried the necklace thing a while back, but I really disliked having my spare reg hanging around my neck. Now I attach my octo to my BCD with a snorkel holder. My plan is to donate my primary [on a long hose] and switch to my octo, which is _right there_. I've also begun the practice of switching to my octo while doing safety stops, just to get used to switching, and to make sure it works properly.

Just a curious question but, why do they not teach or promote using a Regulator Necklace on your primary 2nd Stage, in a short hose config?

I saw a guy doing this yesterday, and I was like, why not.. I only dive long hose these days, and always use one.

Just curious...
I run a standard rec short hose setup with an octo attached to an octo holder, clipped to right shoulder d-ring. My primary I have on a necklace. I just don't want to have to do the bend over, swoop your arm thing to retrieve my primary. I can be on the surface before diving, chatting with buddies, my reg is right there, gets bumped out, it is still right there. I also dive self reliant, so I have a 30cu pony slung diagonally across my chest. (SDI Solo cert)

My single tank configuration for a long time has been the primary necklaced and 2ndry clipped to a D-ring on my right shoulder strap. I can see it and it's out of the way. Both 2nd stages route under my right arm and both hoses are 40" long. When I use Independent Doubles solo I use the same configuration. When I use the ID's buddy diving I add a third 2nd stage with a 40" hose clipped to a D ring on the harness belt to my right.

Each second stage is setup with different external adjusting knobs so I can feel which one is which, also I use a black mouthpiece on my primary and clear on my 2ndry and a white/grey one on the 3rd second stage when I use one.

I have considered adding a inflator/regulator to my wing and dropping the use of the 3rd second stage altogether but I use the 3rd one so seldom that I haven't yet. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it regardless but then it's one more thing to service and to leak.

I've used some kind of necklace on my primary since 1968, back then the second stages came with a cheap snap fastener necklace thing. I want my reg there where I can find it. My sec. reg is clipped to my right harness strap. I use this same configuration with a single tank or independent doubles.

A second 2nd stage wasn't something in use when I got certified, so necklacing was something a diver did or didn't do on their own. Since a lot of my diving is solo donating is not something I'm overly concerned about and have only done once for real, successfully.
Snap fastener like the one in the photo and like you, used from 1968 to the mid 80s
20201010_084745.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom