Regulator hose replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSaipan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a new diver and recently purchased a new Scubapro MK25/G250V regulator. The lp hose is 24" long. Yesterday, while getting ready for a dive, I noticed that I could not turn my head to the left because of the regulator hose. I adjusted my cylinder higher which gave me enough hose length to move more freely, but I still felt restricted. Are all regulator hoses 24"? Should I replace the hose with a 30 or 36" hose? If so, is this something I can do myself? Thanks for the help, hope this isn't a really stupid question.

24" sounds like the length of an octo hose, not a primary. You can change the hose out fairly easily and you can use whatever length that is comfortable for you. I currently use a 7' hose, but a 36" or a 40" (routed under you arm with a 90 degree connector) works well also. I would also look at the Myflex hoses as they are much more flexible and comfortable IMHO.

24" sounds like the length of an octo hose, not a primary. You can change the hose out fairly easily and you can use whatever length that is comfortable for you. I currently use a 7' hose, but a 36" or a 40" (routed under you arm with a 90 degree connector) works well also. I would also look at the Myflex hoses as they are much more flexible and comfortable IMHO.

You are assuming the diver uses a long hose configuration. Although that is popular on ScubaBaord, it is rarely done in the recreational diving world. I will describe a typical recreational setup here.

I am a little confused by your terminology. You start off by saying that the LP hose is 24" long. That is indeed a standard length, assuming you are talking about the hose that inflates the BCD. It should not have any effect on your ability to turn your head.

You then talk about the regulator hose. Is that also 24" long? If so, 24 inches is indeed short for your primary regulator. It should be more like 28".

If you want to consider a long hose setup, that is different and should be considered separately.

24" is short - too short for me. I switched mine for a 34" as soon as I could. I am going to move to the myflex hose as well.

24" is what I use for a bungee backup. Then my primary regulator is on a 7' hose. I have not found a situation yet where it does not perform flawlessly. Had someone go low on air last weekend, and we did an air share to surface. The long hose made it very controllable and comfortable for both of us.

If you want to get rid of the 24" hose send me a PM and I will buy it. Would be willing to partial trade it for a yellow 40" Miflex that is brand new. I have used both systems and just find the long hose better for me.

I am a new diver and recently purchased a new Scubapro MK25/G250V regulator. The lp hose is 24" long. Yesterday, while getting ready for a dive, I noticed that I could not turn my head to the left because of the regulator hose. I adjusted my cylinder higher which gave me enough hose length to move more freely, but I still felt restricted. Are all regulator hoses 24"? Should I replace the hose with a 30 or 36" hose? If so, is this something I can do myself?
@ScubaSaipan: For clarification purposes, please elaborate on the length of all of the hoses attached to your first stage (and what they are connected to). This will help us figure out if you are diving a long hose setup or more conventional OW recreational setup. There are common hose lengths for each respective setup.

As you have learned from the posts on this thread, all regulator hoses are not 24" long. Many divers using a 5'-7' hose on the primary regulator have their necklaced backup regulator on a 22"-24" hose. The low pressure inflator hose that connects to the power inflator assembly on the BCD can be a variety of lengths. Usually, the length of the inflator hose is determined by the length of the corrugated hose of the BCD. This is why most (all?) new BCDs come with an appropriately sized inflator hose.

Switching out regulator hoses can be done very easily. In most cases, all it takes is a couple of appropriately sized wrenches. When attaching the hose to the first stage, I'd recommend making the connection hand-tight...and then tightening it just a smidge more with a wrench. You really don't want to exceed the torque specs for the first stage as this could cause damage. Be sure to do a thorough bubble check following the gear change...and check the hose connections after every dive.

Hope this helps...

Try a 30" or 32" hose. Your LDS can order regulator hoses of any length either from Innovative Scuba or Trident Scuba. I don't think either of them sells directly to the public. Some lengths may be special orders, but they have a lot of standard lengths in stock so you should be able to get what you need.

One thing you might want to look at is how low your tank is hanging. Having dove a 24" hose before and having no problems, you may want to think about that before rushing out to buy a new hose. Where is your first stage in relation to the back of your head/neck... May not be a solution, but worth a look none the less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom