regulator hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's worth mentioning that if you have any failure with connections on your hoses, whether minor or catastrophic, you can simply just crimp the hose with your hand to stop the air from leaking. No different than a garden hose.

This is an interesting idea! That never actually occurred to me before.

---------- Post added September 26th, 2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

That type of failure often occurs when the connection comes loose and blows the o-ring out of the gland it sits in. This does not happen until it actually comes a couple turns loose.

After thinking a while, I realized I probably just hand tightened the connection without paying much attention when I initially made the hose change with plans to eventually tighten the connections but then subsequently forgot. This makes sense, thanks!

---------- Post added September 26th, 2015 at 09:27 PM ----------

I have become more and more of an advocate for carrying a ( even small) pony bottle for singles divers. I have to say since getting into tech and diving doubles, man that redundancy is really nice to have.

Since I first learned about the redundancy of diving doubles, I've wanted to get a double setup, even if it's small capacity cylinders. That's a ways down the road in terms of finances, but having that sort of redundancy, especially when it's just my wife and I diving some lake in the back country alone, would be nice. Maybe a 19Cuft pony.

I have to say since getting into tech and diving doubles, man that redundancy is really nice to have.
Couldn’t have said it better myself, so .... man that redundancy is really nice to have.

Take a look online, you can find AL40 pony set ups for good prices, and that serves as a good deco bottle if you ever go that route. I got my backmount doubles through a forum such as this, with the popularity of sidemount for caves, I was able to scoop a nice set of 130's in cave country for a very very reasonable price.

If it were the beginning of the dive, I would have done a slow ascent, left water and repaired/replaced the hose. If it was the end of a deeper dive, safety stop, exited, and repaired/replaced the hose.

I have found that crimping the hose will not shut off a free flow, and I had it completely doubled over like a bobby pin. so don't count on that. This was on a regulator that froze while filling a lift bag. Only shutting the valve stopped a violent free flow.

Hmm. I'll do a pool test on mine to see what happens and report back. Like the old saying goes. Trust but verify.

I'm interested to learn the result, do let us know!

I have found that crimping the hose will not shut off a free flow
That bit about being just like a garden hose is a nice theory, but there are three significant differences.

1. It's extremely unlikely that your garden hose is supplying water at 140 psi over ambient.
2. Your garden hose is probably softer and more flexible than a regulator hose.
3. At any reasonable depth the air in your regulator hose has much lower viscosity than the water in your garden hose.

Back
Top Bottom