Regulator Geeks: Scubapro Mk19EVO - teardown & discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much - Unless you're diving in REALLY cold water (less than 4*C) or in really silted up water, there really is no difference.
Even so, all of my cold water diving, in those freezing ranges, was years ago, on Poseidon Cyklon 300s -- dirt simple, piston regulators, without any free-flow incidents . . .

Even so, all of my cold water diving, in those freezing ranges, was years ago, on Poseidon Cyklon 300s -- dirt simple, piston regulators, without any free-flow incidents . . .
Yeah I know, I was diving in Newfoundland in the winter, and we would have -2*C salt water. I used my mk25s and they were fine for me. However, I know others using Mk25s that didn't have as much luck. Breath control is important.
Poseidon regs are insane. I know of a photo of someone with a baseball sized ice ball behind their head and the reg still worked perfect.

Poseidon regs are insane. I know of a photo of someone with a baseball sized ice ball behind their head and the reg still worked perfect.
Learning how to handle gear before going under the ice, or thereabouts, is half the battle -- absolutely no Bogarting of the regs outside.

As an aside, those Cyklon 300s were all run at their original IP of 12.5 bar (about 181 psi) -- so much for the school of detuning . . .

Pretty much - Unless you're diving in REALLY cold water (less than 4*C) or in really silted up water, there really is no difference.

People will harp on about flow, but if you're out-breathing any reg, you have bigger problems.
Service interval is about the same if you rinse your regs. But eventually o-rings wear out and things need a tune.
For 99.9% of people, pick any decent reg and you'll be ok. Do anything out of the ordinary (really deep, really cold, really silty) and you might want to consider your options a bit more close

Good points for sure...here and by others....I am also tossing in the aspect of DIY regulator servicing. At a shop, they can just throw new parts in [piston, ambient chamber, etc], charge customers, and call it a day. Those who rebuild their own regs, watching your parts wear out....is not the greatest feeling...hence..the prospect of an "everlasting MK25"....via the MK19 Evo...is an interesting prospect even if it is not a direct comparison [extra parts, more complex, etc].

I was one of those "never said anything negative about the MK25 except for maybe price"...until having conversations on this forum. No SB is not representing the world....I am using my own experience along with opinions of those with extensive regulator experience to compare what makes sense for my own diving needs and wants....and doing so on a public diving discussion forum :) Maybe it can help others....

What problems have you had with the MK25? I have used it and the MK20 (and sold both) for MANY years (since mid 90's) and never had issues with either one of them or any of the problems some bring out here on SB. They don't have ANY potential for failure or damage more than any other regulators, in fact, my experience tells me that they are more reliable than others.

AS somebody above said, it is all about nothing and mostly a discussion about who likes vanilla and who likes chocolate ice cream.

What if I am lactose intolerant?

rebreather?

I always thought that there was something funny about you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom