Regulator "finger tight"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
... notice anything?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oops, sorry. I thought we were talking about attaching the first stage to the tank. I guess the original poster meant his second stage fell off during the dive and not the first stage like I was imagining.

I'll go back into lurk mode where I belong...

paulwlee:
Finger tight is what's stated on many DIR websites. However, during my DIR-F class last year, the instructor told us that this is not right any more.

I was also advised of this during a Fundamentals class held within the past six months or so.

Does finger tight not depend on the fingers involved?

After several years of martial arts and commercial diving, I'm probably better off not tightening the second stage as tight as I can get it. As it is, what I consider light pressure, some people have trouble removing.

Perhaps a term like finger tight is far to generic. Who's to say if your finger tight is as tight as his?

Single tank divers and people not diving a stage or deco bottle are wrench tight. If you dive stages and deco bottles, the primary reg and stage regs are finger tight. Backup is always wrench tight. This is per David Rhea in my Cave 2 Class last December. David is the Cave training Director.

paulwlee:
Finger tight is what's stated on many DIR websites. However, during my DIR-F class last year, the instructor told us that this is not right any more. I don't know whether the standards were changed, or whether 'finger tight' was cave specific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom