Regulator "finger tight"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday a friend tested out my rig for me to make sure everything was in proper order. I thought I had read in the DIR forum that the 2nd stage was to be put on finger tight, which I did, but in the middle of the dive it came completely off (apparently it loosened up during the dive/donning time) He shut off the valve, screwed it back on and continued (I was snorkeling at the surface watching) Did I miss-interpret something or was it just "carelessness" on my part that allowed this to happen? Anyway if someone would like to correct me so this doesn't happen again I'd appreciate it. If nothing else I'll snug it up with a wrench this time. - other than that "little" stumbling block it was a very smooth dive.

Another friend of mine is getting certified with me and I believe both of us are going to be diving as close to DIR standards as we can from the start, just a lot of things to learn and I'm looking forward to a DIR-F course I can get to as soon after cert as possible - Trying to learn good habits from the start as much as possible. Unfortunately at this point my only source of information is off the web and the DIR-F book/videos. So I'll apply what I can understand and learn more as I go.

Thanks.

P.S. this was his first time using a bp/w and even though it was loose on him he really liked the comfort and stability.

Finger tight is what's stated on many DIR websites. However, during my DIR-F class last year, the instructor told us that this is not right any more. I don't know whether the standards were changed, or whether 'finger tight' was cave specific.

Finger tight is for diving doubles. In case your reg free flows due to a malfunctioning second stage you can shut down the affected post and exchange the malfunctioning second stage with one from a deco, stage or travel bottle. I am by far not DIR but thats how it was explained to me. I am sure if i am incorrect someone will be along shortly to clarify :D

The rationale behind originally going "finger tight" is so that you can swap out one of your second stages unto a deco stage, or vice versa, in the event of a second stage failure. It would mean a rebuild, but it would keep you alive.

If you're not diving with deco bottles, there is no need. No second stages to swap, right?

However, even now, in the wake of some incidents like yours, the recommendation is to tighten second stages with a wrench. If you're deco diving, some divers like to carry a small wrench if they were to ever NEED to swap second stages.

The updated info makes more sense to me in my situation. I'll tighten it up shortly. btw isn't a rebuild only necessary after a 1st stage swap? Seems like a second stage would not care all that much. (I did rinse it well afterward)

Tim

If it was fresh water, it's probably not a huge concern. If it's salt water, you're going to run the possibility of salt getting in all sorts of places it shouldn't be. It's rather akin to why you don't want to be holding the purge button down when you rinse.

Holding the purge button down is more to prevent water getting into the first stage - the second stage should not need a rebuild if it had a dunk.

The "finger-tight" recommendation kind of went away for the exact reasons you encountered - regs coming off underwater. Maybe someone like Michael Kane can answer the question about current recommendations for diving with stages.

Even with salt water, you should be fine if you just soak the disconnected second stage for a while in salt water and then purge it out.

I just dissasembled it and found salt water still inside after a 30 minute soak last night in warm water. So I put all the pieces into the sonic bath and am giving them a good soak there, then will reassemble after drying and lubing with some chrystolube on the o-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom