Regulator Failure - Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out this.
Dip tube is detached from valve but suspended in tank crud.

Can you tell us more about what we are looking at?

1651503851098.png

#1 looks like impact damage to the neck that is not recent. #2 is the neck O-ring, which would be unusual if it stayed on place instead of coming out with the valve. I can't figure out how #3 formed?

I have heard of enough Aluminum oxide powder in a tank to clog the first stage sintered metal inlet filter, but that powder is very fine and easily goes through the dip tube and valve. I don't understand how Aluminum oxide would "cake" around the stem unless A) there was a HUGE volume of it B) there was a really large amount of water in the tank causing it to harden rather than be airborne and C) the tank was stored valve-down for a long period of time.

If the plug (#3) is solidified Aluminum oxide, it must have taken a long time to build up. Surely people would have noticed a lot of white powder on their first stage filters, on Yoke regulators anyway. It can be very hard to inspect many DIN regulator filters because they are often next to the 1st stage body instead of at the open end of the DIN fitting.

Yikes on the first part. If I were leading that dive, I would have ended the dive (at least for you) and if my divers wanted their money back, I would refer them to the operator with the message, "If you don't want to issue refunds, make sure your gear is in good order."

On the second part, there are a few ways to check if operators are inspecting their tanks. But, you'll only know if they mark them. Industry standard is a yearly visual and law is a hydro test every 5 years. The visual is recorded via a sticker, and the hydro date is stamped into the tank. As some have mentioned, many operators don't put the stickers on their tanks. Tank debris caused failures very rare, but they happen. In lieu of the sticker, the next best thing to look at is the operators other equipment. Is the rental gear trashed? Are the boats dirty? Is the shop dirty? Slack in one area usually permeates into other areas. Here are a couple of articles and photos to help you out. The top photo shows a tank with visual sticker and hydro stamps. The second is a valve with dip tube. Happy diving!

Inspection and Testing for Your SCUBA Tanks: Visual Cylinder Inspection - AquaViews Inspecting and

Testing for Your SCUBA Tanks: Hydrostatic Tank Test - AquaViews

View attachment 720504
View attachment 720505
Very helpful, thank you. You know I have never looked for the tank inspection date or the sticker. Easy enough to do, but never thought to look. I also now get the purpose of the dip tube. I was envisioning it being much longer. I just went online to check the operator we will be using in Bonaire. They have information online about their equipment and testing protocol. Again, I wouldn't have thought to look that up before this conversation on this forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom