Regulator decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"mid" as in Mediocre?

(Sorry but I am behind in American slang)
I was confused too at first; it probably means "middling" as in middle of the pack or "just average."

Mid range
Middle of the road
Mlet's hope car not coming

I have a few sets of Hog regs which include the D1, D2 and D3 with a combination of Zenith and Classic 2nd stages. I've taken the Edge/Hog service class as well and service all my regs. In the past I've had Cressi, Apex and ScubaPro and can say that they are all great regs. My favorite set is my D2 1st Stage, Classic 2nd stage and Octo (Tec-Rec Octo). I believe the D2 has been discontinued. My thoughts are the regulators (all brands included) that have more seals and parts with the pivoting turrets, etc. offers more room for failure. The D3 is fantastic, but I prefer the small form factor and less seals and moving parts of the D2. The D1 is also great. I like to have the ability to service my own regs with readily available service kits. I've been to scuba shows and have asked about getting certified to service the big name brands, but you have to work for shop or "know" someone to even get service kits. Plus knowing the gear well enough to rebuild it yourself adds an extra layer of confidence for me. I've had a well known local shop rebuild my regs in the past only to find that the 2nd stage diaphragm was creased and another shop on a different set of regs set the intermediate pressure to high, which caused other issues. I'm not saying that all shops are negligent, but two occurrences of faulty workmanship was enough for me to look at and jump to Hog gear and take the certification class.

I've never had any issues over the past 12 years of diving on Hog gear and 26 years of diving in general on other regs, other than the defects with the two shops mentioned above. I would highly recommend finding a demo day at a local shop or dive site and try as many as you can and ask a lot of questions.

Just my 2 cents, which is worth 1/2 cent. Good Luck!

I have a S600/MK25, its ok. Scubapro parts can be expensive. One other thing to look at is that some have a swiveling turret that wobbles a bit. Mine doesn't leak, the air pressure seats it, but it is a bit disturbing. If you are buying used, you might want to check that out before you buy.

Love my hogs, also love my poseidons, oh and my scubapro (although a pain to service).

My 2 cents, the Hogs for value and simplicity would be my choice

That can be fixed in about 60 seconds. No need to continue being disturbed. 🙂
I thought about trying to put some kind of shim in there. But, that might invalidate the warranty which is one of the reasons why people buy Scubapros.

Talked to Bob Collins (Hog) at the Scuba show this weekend.
1. The D2 is coming back! It is currently in route and the container with it should be in the US soon. (10 days or so!)
2. Currently working on scheduling another West coast reg servicing class. There was one last month up in the seattle area. Ashley Arnold up at Jade Scuba adventures is putting together the schedule for the next class. (tentatively planned for LA in the fall)
3. Love the D2 as a stage reg (or backmount reg) It is small, light, sealed, and breathes well. Bob was seliing the D2 with a Classic for $250 which is a great deal for a stage reg. Adding a SPG / and a 2nd Classic to this as an octo gives you a credible backmount setup for <$450
4. Regulator savvy which Pete from Scuba tools wrote about the HOG regs which is a great start to maintaining your own equipment.
5. Hog service kits are easily available.

1. The D2 is coming back! It is currently in route and the container with it should be in the US soon. (10 days or so!)
2. Currently working on scheduling another West coast reg servicing class. There was one last month up in the seattle area. Ashley Arnold up at Jade Scuba adventures is putting together the schedule for the next class. (tentatively planned for LA in the fall)
3. Love the D2 as a stage reg (or backmount reg) It is small, light, sealed, and breathes well. Bob was seliing the D2 with a Classic for $250 which is a great deal for a stage reg. Adding a SPG / and a 2nd Classic to this as an octo gives you a credible backmount setup for <$450
4. Regulator savvy which Pete from Scuba tools wrote about the HOG regs which is a great start to maintaining your own equipment.
Great news about the D2 coming back! Thanks for the info!

Will the D2 still come in only DIN? I have heard many complaints about putting a yoke adapter on and the lack of clearance between the regulator and head/neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom