Regulator configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replace the yellow face plate with a black one and be done with it

At the risk of commenting on an older post:
.should I set up with the yellow 2nd as my primary and the black around my neck? My reasoning is that I don't want a panicked diver going for the yellow 2nd hanging around my neck ( it's on a yellow hose as well)...
Yes. If the general convention is that yellow represents the alternate air source that a diver should receive / be given in an OOA situation, it make sense to use the second stage with the yellow purge cover as your 'primary in your mouth, and put the black one on the bungee necklace. Yes, I agree that it really shouldn't matter, but that is a lot easier. I do that. And, I don't care about questions I get. I just smile knowingly and say, 'That's how it is done on my planet.'

Can I presume that you are using 'standard' hose lengths as well (e.g. 40" yellow alternate hose, and a shorter - ~34" - black primary hose), not a long hose primary and ~28" necklace hose? A configuration that I recommend to my open water divers who have 'standard' hoses on their reg, and aren't ready to invest in a longer (5 - 7') primary hose, is to use the shorter black primary hose on the bungeed reg, and dive the longer yellow hose on the second stage that is in their mouth. The longer hose may present some routing issue (it bows out more because of the length), but in an OOA you want to donate the longest hose available.

This all sounds like a case for diving solo in lieu of diving with unknown buddies. Which krachenfrugle is your kramenflaschkar?

This all sounds like a case for diving solo in lieu of diving with unknown buddies. Which krachenfrugle is your kramenflaschkar?

Nah, isolation prevents the spread of knowledge, inhibits innovation, and leads to stagnation in this sector of the sport.

I am also thinking of moving to LH/BO setup on my apeks regs for rec diving. Just wanted to know how to route the long hose if I am not diving with a canister on my hip? And is this set up overkill for a rec dive?

Just wanted to know how to route the long hose if I am not diving with a canister on my hip? And is this set up overkill for a rec dive?

The setup is not overkill, it's quite convenient. In fact, when I compare my simple, streamlined BP/W setup with the cluttered jacket BCs, I ask them if all that crap is overkill.

I carry a knife on the front of my BP waist harness strap, and route the long hose under the knife if I don't have a can light.

Thanks doc Harry, I have a wing type setup on a dive rite transpac (loved the comfort of it and got a great deal from my instructor). Also keep my knife on my waist strap. Looks like I can use your setup if I decide to do the lh/bo route. Just want to try it out first before I make a purchase. This may be difficult as all the divers I know use the normal setup. Thinking of changing when I need to replace my hoses. The regs are still fairly new, so might be a while yet. Any opinions on the braided hoses as i am thinking my short one will be a braided hose and maybe a normal one for the primary.

The setup is not overkill, it's quite convenient. In fact, when I compare my simple, streamlined BP/W setup with the cluttered jacket BCs, I ask them if all that crap is overkill.

I carry a knife on the front of my BP waist harness strap, and route the long hose under the knife if I don't have a can light.

Most of my diving is on the oil rigs off the Louisiana coast. We don't use canister lights (mostly we spearfish and take pictures). I've been thinking about going with the bungeed octo and the long primary hose, but I am concerned about the primary hose getting entangled (especially when fighting a fish). Is using a 5' hose (vs. the 7' hose that lots of folks seem to be using) a viable solution? On a side note, I've been diving since 1976, first started wreck diving off the NJ coast, no BC, no octo, thick rubber wetsuits, etc. -- diving sure has come a long way since then!). I've never found a satisfactory solution for the octo, and the bungee/necklace, with the long primary hose, just seems to make so much sense. Thanks in advance for your input!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom