Regulator configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just make sure to mention what procedure to follow during an oog event. Or practice an S-Drill on land before diving so that they know what to expect.

Hello, everyone;
I dive open water, and I'm interested in the "DIR" regulator configuration, with the octo on a necklace. My regulator is an Aqualung Titan LX, with the LX octopus, the point being that my 2nd stages are identical except for color. My question is this: if an out of air diver comes to me for air, he's going to either just go for my primary, or look for the yellow one...so...should I set up with the yellow 2nd as my primary and the black around my neck? My reasoning is that I don't want a panicked diver going for the yellow 2nd hanging around my neck ( it's on a yellow hose as well)... I hope this makes sense... thanks for your input, and safe diving!!

FWIW, I put a yellow cover on my primary (HOG D1). Since I almost never dive with the same 'buddy', my best guess is a panicked OOA diver is going to grab the first working regulator they see, but anything I can do to make that less stressful seems like a good idea

Thanks for the opinions! Yeah, I'm not worried about my buddy as much as another diver...

Just make sure to mention what procedure to follow during an oog event. Or practice an S-Drill on land before diving so that they know what to expect.

+1 +1 +1

Imperative a demonstration of how it works takes place. Around here, and aside from one caver/tech instructor, I haven't come across a single person who dives a LH/BO aside from me. When I'm out on a charter with folks from other areas, yep!

You could change the primary to the yellow second stage... but I warn you.. you will have to explain at least 3 times on every trip: Why you have your octopus on the wrong hose...
04.gif

If your regs are truly identical except for color, then yes I would set up the yellow one as your primary. You may have to have them re-tuned though. Often times octos are detuned to prevent freeflowing. If this is the case you will have to have the octo tuned up and the necklace reg de-tuned. Or, if it's just the purge valve cover that's yellow, just swap purge valve covers. And order another black purge valve cover, now you've got two black regs.

Prior to getting GUE trained, my wife and I used a longer yellow hose on our primary with an Air2 type setup. Bottom line is that someone who is near panic will have some tunnel vision and most likely be looking at your face/head/eyes. That means they will go for the reg in your mouth.

If your regs are truly identical except for color, then yes I would set up the yellow one as your primary. You may have to have them re-tuned though. Often times octos are detuned to prevent freeflowing. If this is the case you will have to have the octo tuned up and the necklace reg de-tuned. Or, if it's just the purge valve cover that's yellow, just swap purge valve covers. And order another black purge valve cover, now you've got two black regs.

That is exactly what I did, when I converted to the longhose and bungee necklace.

I had a Apeks XTX50 (black) and XTX40 (yellow cover and thingy on the side). I just swapped the yellow cover from the xtx40 (bungeed necklace) to the xtx50(primary longhose).

the one in my neck is not going anywhere, the necklace is held prisonner to the reg by the tie-rap holding the mouthpiece.

With many regs the purge valve cover just unscrews. Don't know about Apeks, never had one. A few brands require tools like a screwdriver.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom