Regulator clean up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VitaminE

Reaction score
I just bought some used regs that had been used in saltwater, I have never dove in saltwater and was wondering what steps I should take to clean the new regs of the saltwater.

Thanks!

The cleaning procedure is the same as after use in fresh water, but it is more important as the salt can crystallize and interfere with the operation and even cause some corrosion. The best method is to let them sit in warm (not hot) clean fresh water for about 1 hour, then rinse them. If you have breathing or venturi adjust buttons, wiggle them a few times, so any salt trapped in their mechanism can dissolve. Make sure you keep the cap on the 1st stage at all times and if the reg is not pressurized do not press the purge button. Water inside a regulator 1 stage or hose can lead to major problems and requires service.

Which brings me to another point: you state you just bought the regs? Unless you know they were serviced in the past 12 months and trust the person you bought them from, I would recommend that you have them serviced before diving with them.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

best thing would be to have them on your tank with the gas on, and rinse them with fresh water. By keeping them charged, you don't end up getting water where the salt water never got to anyway, and you don't ahve worry about water getting shot back into your tanks or corroding the inner workings of the regs.

With all the dust caps in place, put the regs in warm water that has some vinegar in it. Vinegar makes the water slightly acid, which will help to dissolve any salt. Soak for about 20 minutes.

Drain, add fresh warm water with a bit of baking soda in it. This will neutralize any possible left over acid from the vinegar & water soak. About 10 minutes should do it.

Drain. Soak in warm fresh water alone. Another 10 minutes.

Let regs dry.

It is important that the purge buttons NOT be pushed when soaking regs, so that no water will get into the system.

Also, I would tend to have them looked at by a service tech to make sure that there is no internal corrosion.

In future, if any of your gear is used in salt water, make sure to thoroughly rinse/soak in freshwater to avoid any potential for damage.

I would just good with the water soak under pressure if possible. Some o-ring and other materials may be adversely effected by the acid bath. If they really need more than clean water, it's probably best to do a proper service.

It affects chrome and can make plastic parts brittle. Several manufacturers warn against its use.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I second what everyone else has said. I will sometimes let my regs soak for 24 - 48 hours. When I take them apart for servicing, they are always spotless. Since you bought your regs used, you might want to consider having them serviced.

Back
Top Bottom