Regulator "Chatter"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capt. dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just completed my PADI Rescue Diver Certification and First Responder Certification. Prior to this I had my yearly service on my regulator (Apeks XTX 100 reg, Apeks XTX 50 octo). I noticed during training and drills that my reg. made this funny noise while "slightly breathing" at surface. Someone in a post noted a similar "chatter". I was wondering if this noise I am hearing is "chatter" and if a small adjustment needs to be made by the LDS. BTW, if you are reading this and live in the Syracuse area (within 60-100mi) and wan to dive, please send me a message.:popcorn:

From which stage is the sound originating? (first or second)
If the noise is coming from the second stage, it may be caused by resonance between the diaphragm and the plastic case. It's not harmful, just annoying.

One possible solution is to remove the front cover, diaphragm cover, and diaphragm from the second stage. Reposition the diaphragm (so that it is rotated from its original position) and then reassemble. That may be enough to prevent the noise.

Following servicing, it's a good idea to check the i.p. (you have an i.p. gauge, right?) and make sure that the cracking pressure on the second stages is set to your preference.

Good luck and let us know how things get resolved.

Yes under water the noise is gone. It is at surface, when I breath very lightly. It sounds like an old fashion gazoo.

From which stage is the sound originating? (first or second)
If the noise is coming from the second stage, it may be caused by resonance between the diaphragm and the plastic case. It's not harmful, just annoying.

One possible solution is to remove the front cover, diaphragm cover, and diaphragm from the second stage. Reposition the diaphragm (so that it is rotated from its original position) and then reassemble. That may be enough to prevent the noise.

Following servicing, it's a good idea to check the i.p. (you have an i.p. gauge, right?) and make sure that the cracking pressure on the second stages is set to your preference.

Good luck and let us know how things get resolved.

1+ on the excellent advice from Bubbletrubble.

I'll just add for the OP's "peace of mind" that I have eight regulator sets that I maintain for my family; so that is a total of sixteen 2nd stages... And we have 4 "surface honkers" among all those 2nd stages (ours sound like geese honking).

This is not a safety issue, it is just the diaphragm resonating when you breath the regulator on the surface.... water dampens the resonation, so the sound magically goes away once you submerge. I've never bothered trying to get rid of the sound, but I may when I rebuild the 2nd stages at their next service.... or not :wink:

I would be concerned if a regulator began making new noises that it had not previously made, especially underwater.

Best wishes.

i have this issues with a Delta 4 second stage (FDX10 first) and it happens under water...

the sound comes from the second stage and sounds like a high pitched door creaking. i know it's a simple case of resenence in the regs so I'm not so fussed on it, but the hermit crab i was trying to take a photo of didn't like it very much :(

I am a certified mechanical engineer, but I've not had any training in servicing... i know how to swing a spanner (or in this case a screwdriver)... should i take the reg apart as per the above instructions? or hand it over to the LDS (who in theory shouldn't charge me as they're <1 year old)

i do intend at some point in the nearish future to do the equipment servicing course...

i have this issues with a Delta 4 second stage (FDX10 first) and it happens under water...

the sound comes from the second stage and sounds like a high pitched door creaking. i know it's a simple case of resenence in the regs so I'm not so fussed on it, but the hermit crab i was trying to take a photo of didn't like it very much :(

I am a certified mechanical engineer, but I've not had any training in servicing... i know how to swing a spanner (or in this case a screwdriver)... should i take the reg apart as per the above instructions? or hand it over to the LDS (who in theory shouldn't charge me as they're <1 year old)

i do intend at some point in the nearish future to do the equipment servicing course...

I'm not familiar with your 2nd stage.... but in general, you should just be hearing the "hiss" or "whooosh" sound of air flowing into the 2nd stage as you inhale underwater (imagine the Darth Vader sound from Star Wars :wink: ). On the surface many 2nd stages will quack or honk due to diaphragm resonance, but I think any noises you hear underwater other than a normal "air flow" sound should be investigated.

I'd ask the LDS you bought the regulator from about it, or a tech familiar with the Delta 4... it could be normal for that reg, but sounds unusual to me.

Best wishes.

no, it quacks under water. (and has done at 30m)

and i do know what a regulator is supposed to sound like under water :wink:

I've had several regs do this above water and I asked about this in the OW class and was told don't worry about it. Once underwater the sound goes away.

I just completed my PADI Rescue Diver Certification and First Responder Certification. Prior to this I had my yearly service on my regulator (Apeks XTX 100 reg, Apeks XTX 50 octo). I noticed during training and drills that my reg. made this funny noise while "slightly breathing" at surface. Someone in a post noted a similar "chatter". I was wondering if this noise I am hearing is "chatter" and if a small adjustment needs to be made by the LDS.

It's not a defect, or something that your LDS can fix, when the diaphragms in the second stage sounds like a kazoo while on the surface. Nothing to worry about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom