Regulator care and cleaning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is insane that dust caps are not all super solid rubber balls, at least for yoke regs. I think it important to not rely on a silly o-ring that always falls out of the plastic cap.

I dive most every weekend or every other weekend for the last few decades in the ocean. I have used a lot of different regulators. I have found that soaking them in freshwater (with a good dust cap) makes a huge difference. They last longer and do not corrode nearly as fast. Often they soak for an hour or two, but sometimes they are in the bucket for 12 or 24 hours. I often, but not always, hook them up to a tank and press the purge to help dry out the second stage.

I don't do any crazy cleaning routine and I never need maintenance on an annual basis although I sometimes have to tighten up the seats on the second stages. If I see bubbles from the spg, I will take it apart and grease it and maybe replace the O-rings, but not a whole lot else is needed... if you soak the regs well.

Sometimes I go on multi-day trips and there is no rinsing or soaking access. Even with this abuse, I just let them soak in a bucket of freshwater on the way in (over night) and they hold up well.

It is insane that dust caps are not all super solid rubber balls, at least for yoke regs. I think it important to not rely on a silly o-ring that always falls out of the plastic cap.

I dive most every weekend or every other weekend for the last few decades in the ocean. I have used a lot of different regulators. I have found that soaking them in freshwater (with a good dust cap) makes a huge difference. They last longer and do not corrode nearly as fast. Often they soak for an hour or two, but sometimes they are in the bucket for 12 or 24 hours. I often, but not always, hook them up to a tank and press the purge to help dry out the second stage.

I don't do any crazy cleaning routine and I never need maintenance on an annual basis although I sometimes have to tighten up the seats on the second stages. If I see bubbles from the spg, I will take it apart and grease it and maybe replace the O-rings, but not a whole lot else is needed... if you soak the regs well.

Sometimes I go on multi-day trips and there is no rinsing or soaking access. Even with this abuse, I just let them soak in a bucket of freshwater on the way in (over night) and they hold up well.

yay Apeks...

I wouldn’t soak the first stage underwater for an extended period of time with just a dust cap for a seal, but I don’t see a problem with a few quick dunks and twists of the LP swivel (if you have one) while holding it briefly underwater.
I also don’t like using my main diving gear in swimming pools, but I do try to hit up a freshwater swimming pool or better yet a cavern or quarry with my gear using what’s left in one of my tanks after returning from extended saltwater diving trips. There’s something about rinsing out your gear while you are wearing it and sucking on a tank that makes it seem even cleaner after it dries out to me.

sounds like a good use for a tiny pony bottle 'eh?

sounds like a good use for a tiny pony bottle 'eh?

You can use a regular cylinder in large plastic container. Just be careful you don't crush the second stages and that the container is big enough that it doesn't tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom