Regulator Bubble Deflector Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Little Brown Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm an aspiring photographer/videographer and often I get bubbles interfering with my view. I recently discovered that scubapro has a bubble deflector that you attach to the exhaust vanes of the regulator. Unfortunately, this can only fit the smaller models of S550, S600. I currently use a scubapro G250 which I really like. Please advise me if there is a bubble deflector available for the G250. If not, can you please advise me if the S600 or S550 is superior in performance to the G250 enough to justify the 200USD (approx) shell-out? Should I get the S600 or the S550?

Hope you guys can help me out soon as I have to decide by tonight.

Thanks.

When do you get bubble interference? What position are you in? I dive a G250 & the only time a may have a problem is when I'm looking towards the surface shooting video. Hold your breath when you shoot.

Umm...I'd exhale a bit and then "pause" your breathing rather than "hold" it and be sure you are not unintentionally ascending when you do it.

i like my G250 except for one thing and it is major, at least for me. The exhaust is too narrow and directly under the mouth piece. Air comes out and goes directly into my hood to such an extent that I become head light or boyant. The air also interferes with my out ear channel and gives by grief.

I pulled the front off of the unit and saw that it consisted of a ~1.25 inch diameter diaphram with a pin and structure under neath it to centre that membrane and hold it against the seat after being returned from the vent. I need to take that air and route it around the back of my head to vent on top or to my back and away from my ears and my vision.

Approaching this I went to the local hardware stores and played with the idea of a 12.5 inch inner tube with a 2.25 inch tube diameter. I think that by cleaning off the ports on the 250 and by fabricating an aluminum or plastic flange with a 1.3 inch diameter hole in its centre I can cut a hole in the side of the inner tube place it over the diaphram and clasp it in place with the flange. Screws will hold the flange in place.

By opening up the top of the inner tube on the other side I now have a reg with a necklace and venting should be done on the back of my head.

Now to start cleaning off my G250. I can't use it the way it is.

Q check the dates of post, this one is 4 1/2 years old. :)

There are a lot of problems doing what you suggest. First off you will have to put a valve on the upper part of the tube to keep it from flooding and once you do, you will so unbalance the reg that it will freeflow badly. A lot of physics going on that are not obvious. If you really want to accomplish getting the exhaust behind your head, the only real way is to get a double hose reg, either one of the later Aqualung Mistrals (not the choice of those who dive DH regs) or restore one of the old DH regs. Or go rebreather. Don't damage your G250, you will be putting it back original.

I had the same problem in the beginning with my S600 regulator, so i went and bought the "bubble deflector".
Unfortunatly for the don't work so i use my S6000 again without bubble deflector and wasted 20$ or so.
The bubbles depend on the position of your head while photographing, so changing your position will improve a bubble free vision. Holding your breath is the common solution, but it's not recommened and if you do so take extremly care to keep your level and especially not rocket up while holding your breath.
The solution to vent your hood is to poke a small hole - with a fiery nail - in the most upper part of the hood. This will let escape the air trapped in the hood but water circulation will be still limitated. If you dive in very cold waters this solution is maybe not a very good idea...

Chris

P.S. I would absolutly NOT modify the regulator or build tubes, hoses, deflectors as regulators work and are guaranteed
as they are sold and any modification may lead in freeflowing, freezing, failure and subsequently (fatal) dive accidents!

Back
Top Bottom