Regulator blasting air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I'm new to diving and I was out today diving up and down the beach on the naval Air Station I'm stationed at, and I was about 5 feet under looking for shells for my wife. I bumped my secondary regulator and air started blasting out of it. I went from 2500 psi to to just under 1800 psi withen a minute before I fixed the problem. I tried pushing the Peugeot button a few times, which just wasted more air, and then I hit it against my hand a few times and it stoppe . Any idea on why this happened? Thanks for all your input.

Sounds like it started to freeflow. Often times I've found the solution is turning the reg so that the mouthpiece is pointing down and then the freeflow stops.

I have it looped into a retractable lanyard
Hmm that may be fine to be using. I am still new so I'll let others chime in on solutions and what may be the issue as others likely have more experience.

It's annoying but not uncommon. You can stop it by putting your thumb over the mouthpiece to block the air flow.

I'm not too sure about using a retractor for your alternate 2nd stage. That's the one you would donate to an OOA diver, correct? In an emergency, you wouldn't want the extra hassle of a retractor pulling on the reg while someone else is using it. Ditch the refractor and get one of those little plastic plugs that goes in the mouthpiece and attaches to your BC. That should keep it in place and block air flow at the same time.

All second stages have a venturi effect, which means that when air starts flowing, it creates a pressure imbalance in the stage that encourages more air flow. So to stop it you have to momentarily break up the linear air flow out the mouthpiece.

Not knowing the make and model of you alternate second stage, on some 2nd stages they have adjustment knobs that either lightens the "cracking pressure" or adjusts the Venturi effect. It might be labeled Predive and Dive. If your regulator has an adjustment knob you can see if your reg is set too soft.

But most likely your regulator just started to free flow from a pressure difference. The easiest way to stop this is to turn your regulator so the mouth piece is pointed down. This is a very common occurrence and unless it does not stop not that big of a deal.

First off, this is NORMAL for a properly operating second stage. As stated above, the venturi, a design feature in the reg to assist in breathing, will cause this. Holding it down may stop it but often times it will not, esp in a higher preforming reg. Pushing the purge button will do nothing, but will in fact cause it, which is just what you did. To stop it you must create some kind of back pressure inside the reg. Putting your thumb over the mouthpiece or simply grabbing the mouthpiece and covering most of it with your hand will stop the flow. Most regs have a venturi adjustment (a few are internal so ask your tech if it becomes a problem). It is often simply lableled +/-, you want it set to "-" for any second stage you are not breathing from.

A mechanical problem can cause this as will but it will not respond to blocking off the mouthpiece. If it does not stop when you block off the mouthpiece, then you need to have it checked out. I would suggest you try it replicate the problem to make sure is was normal operation.....and that gives you a chance to practice stopping the freeflow.

The first time it happened to me I about jumped out of the pool. I was sure something was terribly wrong. Not to worry.

Follow the advice you have been given.
1- secure the safe second so it doesn't flop around but so it an easily be pulled loose and handed to another diver in an emergency.
2- check to see if your regulator has a predive setting if so set it there.
3- when a free flow starts turn the mouthpiece down.
4- if 3 doesn't stop the flow put your thumb over the mouthpiece for a second or two.
5- If this continues to be a problem have the reg checked by a certified shop. Free flows are a pain and a waste of air.

Safe diving and have a blast.
Hyrum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom