regulator bites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davisdiver

Reaction score
I have over 100 dives under my belt and I have always had this problem with regulators regardless or make and model. They make my gums hurt. They are uncomfortable to clench in my teeth and they are generally a pain all around. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions for how to make diving fun w/o the frustrating mouth issues? I also get dry mouth from my regs. I tried the Mares with the metal inserts that collect condensation from your breath and that helped for awile, but it's not a completely satisifactory remedy. I love diving except for these problems. Please give me any advice you can.

Unless you own you own there's precious little you can do.

May I suggest a "Sea-Cure" mouthpiece. It's moldable to your teeth and gums and reduces jaw fatigue tremendously.

The problem with rentals is that all mouthpieces aren't made alike. . . but it's a good start.

the K

Comfo-bite is also good...made by US Divers/Aqualung.

I find that a few reg switches during my dive (switch from primary to backup, and then back to primary) seems to work wonders for drymouth. :)

I tried a sea-cure, but I need to get another one. I really like the way it works. I haven't tried a comfo-bite.

The comfo bite has a webbed portion arching between the sides of the mouthpiece that rests against the roof of your mouth and holds the second stage in place even if you are essentially slack jawed. I prefer them to the sea cure mouthpiece as the sea cure mouthpiece is excessively long, is hard and does not work well for your OOA buddy when he or she steals your primary.

An old fashioned metal cased regulator is very hard to beat in terms of dry mouth prevention. Dry mouth was pretty rare before the scuba industry was infected with plastic cased second stages. Essentially the entire inside of the metal case and air barrel catches moisture and recycles it. The Scubapro Balanced Adjustable fits the bill. It is all metal, uses the same internal poppet assembly as the current G250HP and S600 and offers virtually identical performance. They show up on e-bay for under $50.00 and are still fully supported by SP parts wise (with the possible exception of the rubber exhaust Tee - rumor has it SP made more of them, but I have not ordered one lately.)

One thing most people don't always realize is how much difference the second stage low pressure hose lenght makes. If the hose is too long, it will push the second stage to the left and if it is too short, it will pull the second stage to the right. Either one will require a great deal more force on the bite tabs to keep the reg in place. If one or the other is happening to you, try a hose 2 inches shorter or longer as appropriate.

A good mouthpiece and a low pressure hose of the proper lenght will do far more to reduce or eliminate jaw fatigue than a "lighter" plastic second stage.

For the dry mouth try scuda my wife uses it and it works.

If all the reg. mouthpieces don't work try a full face mask. Someone was selling an EXO-26.

In truth, they're not a great solution for a new diver, but they do not involve mouthpieces, nor do the stay entirely dry which solves the dry issue. Additionally, I believe dry mouth is a first sign of dehydration.

DA Aquamaster:
The comfo bite has a webbed portion arching between the sides of the mouthpiece that rests against the roof of your mouth and holds the second stage in place even if you are essentially slack jawed. I prefer them to the sea cure mouthpiece as the sea cure mouthpiece is excessively long, is hard and does not work well for your OOA buddy when he or she steals your primary.

An old fashioned metal cased regulator is very hard to beat in terms of dry mouth prevention. Dry mouth was pretty rare before the scuba industry was infected with plastic cased second stages. Essentially the entire inside of the metal case and air barrel catches moisture and recycles it. The Scubapro Balanced Adjustable fits the bill. It is all metal, uses the same internal poppet assembly as the current G250HP and S600 and offers virtually identical performance. They show up on e-bay for under $50.00 and are still fully supported by SP parts wise (with the possible exception of the rubber exhaust Tee - rumor has it SP made more of them, but I have not ordered one lately.)

One thing most people don't always realize is how much difference the second stage low pressure hose lenght makes. If the hose is too long, it will push the second stage to the left and if it is too short, it will pull the second stage to the right. Either one will require a great deal more force on the bite tabs to keep the reg in place. If one or the other is happening to you, try a hose 2 inches shorter or longer as appropriate.

A good mouthpiece and a low pressure hose of the proper lenght will do far more to reduce or eliminate jaw fatigue than a "lighter" plastic second stage.

I found switching to the metal case balanced adjustable totally eliminated dry mouth for me. I'm still working on the mouthpiece, although the modern SP mouthpiece that's in my B/A works fine, but it's not as comfortable to me as the sea cure.

DA Aquamaster:

The Sea Cure is supposed to be trimmed for length so it should only go back as far as your back teeth, or where you feel it's most comfortable. Also, we'd heard about the OOA thing, and when me and my husband tested that by switching regs, it was no problem at all. I wouldn't want to do a long dive with his Sea Cure, but in an OOA you're heading for the surface anyway, so it's only a matter of a few minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom