Regulations/rules for shipping tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually they don't have to be drained leagally.

There is some DOT or USPS rule that says something like anything over 40psi means they they are hazardous material shipments.

However, your average inspector doesn't have a pressure gauge to read off the K or DIN valve and can't tell it's only got 40psi (or less) in it..... so therefore that's why many people ship with the valve off (or they were told that was the rule). With the valve off, there is no question of whether it's got any pressure in it or not.

The USPS considers "compressed gas" to be a HAZMAT item at 40psi
from http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52/pub52d.pdf

Hazardous Materials Definitions
Compressed gas is a material or mixture within a container that is a gas at
68 F (20 C) or less and 14.7 psi (101.3 kPa), or exerts an absolute
pressure of 40.6 psia (280 kPa) or greater at 68 F (20 C). Gases are
Class 2 hazardous materials.​

Also see
Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
Publication 52 (USPS)
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52.txt

Also see
Hazardous Materials Transportation Guides
DOT Hazardous Materials Transportation Guides

This is all covered in 49 CFR 173
Google around for it and it will help put you to sleep at night.

What is the pressure in a can of cheese whiz, deodorant, fix-a flat or a fire extinguisher?

What is the pressure in a can of cheese whiz, deodorant, fix-a flat or a fire extinguisher?

I can testify that if you put a can of deodorant in a fire, it will explode. Maybe not cans made in 2007, but in the 1970s and 1980's they would! :rofl3:

I've never tested that theory with a perfectly good can of cheeze whiz.

But the DOT does have rules about transporting a fire extinguisher under pressure, even in an airplane.

From Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

Title 49: Transportation
PART 173—SHIPPERS—GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SHIPMENTS AND PACKAGINGS
Subpart G—Gases; Preparation and Packaging

§ 173.309 Fire extinguishers.
(a) Fire extinguishers charged with a limited quantity of compressed gas to not more than 1660 kPa (241 psig) at 21 °C (70 °F) are excepted from labeling (except when offered for transportation by air) and the specification packaging requirements of this subchapter when shipped under the following conditions. In addition, shipments are not subject to subpart F of part 172 of this subchapter, to part 174 of this subchapter except §174.24 or to part 177 of this subchapter except §177.817.

(1) Each fire extinguisher must have contents which are nonflammable, non-poisonous, and noncorrosive as defined under this subchapter.

(2) Each fire extinguisher must be shipped as an inner packaging.

(3) Nonspecification cylinders are authorized subject to the following conditions:

(i) The internal volume of each cylinder may not exceed 18 L (1,100 cubic inches). For fire extinguishers not exceeding 900 mL (55 cubic inches) capacity, the liquid portion of the gas plus any additional liquid or solid must not completely fill the container at 55 °C (130 °F). Fire extinguishers exceeding 900 mL (55 cubic inches) capacity may not contain any liquefied compressed gas;

(ii) Each fire extinguisher manufactured on and after January 1, 1976, must be designed and fabricated with a burst pressure of not less than six times its charged pressure at 21 °C (70 °F) when shipped;

(iii) Each fire extinguisher must be tested, without evidence of failure or damage, to at least three times its charged pressure at 21 °C (70 °F) but not less than 825 kPa (120 psig) before initial shipment, and must be marked to indicate the year of the test (within 90 days of the actual date of the original test) and with the words “MEETS DOT REQUIREMENTS.” This marking is considered a certification that the fire extinguisher is manufactured in accordance with the requirements of this section. The words “This extinguisher meets all requirements of 49 CFR 173.306” may be displayed on fire extinguishers manufactured prior to January 1, 1976; and

(iv) For any subsequent shipment, each fire extinguisher must be in compliance with the retest requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration Regulations of the Department of Labor, 29 CFR 1910.157.

(4) Specification 2P or 2Q (§§178.33 and 178.33a of this subchapter) inner nonrefillable metal packagings are authorized for use as fire extinguishers subject to the following conditions:

(i) The liquid portion of the gas plus any additional liquid or solid may not completely fill the packaging at 55 °C (130 °F);

(ii) Pressure in the packaging shall not exceed 1250 kPa (181 psig) at 55 °C (130 °F). If the pressure exceeds 920 kPa (141 psig) at 55 °C (130 °F), but does not exceed 1100 kPa (160 psig) at 55 °C (130 °F), a specification DOT 2P inner metal packaging must be used; if the pressure exceeds 1100 kPa (160 psig) at 55 °C (130 °F), a specification DOT 2Q inner metal packaging must be used. The metal packaging must be capable of withstanding, without bursting, a pressure of one and one-half times the equilibrium pressure of the contents at 55 °C (130 °F); and

(iii) Each completed inner packaging filled for shipment must have been heated until the pressure in the container is equivalent to the equilibrium pressure of the contents at 55 °C (130 °F) without evidence of leakage, distortion, or other defect.

(b) Specification 3A, 3AA, 3E, 3AL, 4B, 4BA, 4B240ET or 4BW (§§178.36, 178.37, 178.42, 178.46, 178.50, 178.51, 178.55 and 178.61 of this subchapter) cylinders are authorized for use as fire extinguishers.

[Amdt. 173–235, 58 FR 50503, Sept. 27, 1993, as amended by Amdt. 173–138, 59 FR 49134, Sept. 26, 1994; Amdt. 173–258, 61 FR 51240, Oct. 1, 1996; 66 FR 45380, 45381, Aug. 28, 2001; 71 FR 54395, Sept. 14, 2006]

I fly aircraft for private owners and our hazmat states that the pressures in the tanks must be 50psi or less.

mike_s:
... perfectly good can of cheeze whiz.

Isn't that an oxymoron??? :D

heh... it was sarcasm implied.

I haven't had "cheeze whiz" since I was a kid. Then it was pretty cool, but I'm sure by my tastebuds today it wouldn't be.

However, still pretty good to take to the quarry and feed the fish on a dive. (Never, done it, but I've seen it done...)

Do note that the fire extinquisher rules probably refer to low pressure extinquishers with a full charge, not high pressure ones which have had the charge reduced for shipping. So it would be a mistake to draw any conclusions about scuba cylinders from that.

40 psia seems to be the magic number for ground shipping scuba tanks, if you don't want to ship them as hazmats (which you can, but it's a pain). Oh and that's 40 psiABSOLUTE, which more like 25 psig.

Back
Top Bottom