Regulations/rules for shipping tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fq1234

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I need to ship some tanks that I sold. I can't seem to find any regulations or rules on the UPS website or in a quick search here.

I remember reading about requirements ranging from almost completly draining them to removing valves or manifolds before shipping.

Can anyone enlighten me to how to go about shipping my tanks.

Thanks for any help.

Valves off is the big one, otherwise I don't think any specific regulations apply to scuba tanks.

I bought a set of doubles this past summer. They were shipped UPS. The shipper put signs on them that said that they were reduced to less than 50 psi. He left the manifold intact.

The doubles weren't packed in a box, the labels were attached directly to the tanks. The manifold was wrapped in bubble wrap and styrofoam if I remember correctly.

UPS shipped and delivered without a problem.

Is this a valid way to ship?

I am shipping a set of doubles similiar to the ones that I bought previously.

Usual is valve off and plug tank with a cap or tape works also. It will need vis'd anyway but plugging it will keep any unnecessary dirt out and will help protect the threads. Only way you can ship with air is drain it down to about 100 lbs and lie that it's empty. If they check for some reason it could be a little awkward. Best to just empty em remove the valve, pack it carefully and make sure things don't rattle around.

It is totally different regulations if it goes ground versus air freight.

For airfreight is when the valves need to come off.

It is not the same for ground shipment. I am fairly certain that you can leave the valves on and maybe even leave less than 100 psi and UPS may not care.

You really should look in their web site. Then after you find some actual information you could post it here.

The last 2 tanks I bought (from different vendors) came valve on with 50 or so PSI. Both shipped UPS.

I'm really concerned with ground, not air.

I have searched the ups website and was unable to find anything.

I found sites relating information about federal regulations but they did not actually list anything about PSI or removing valves. In fact it seemed to saky that as long as the vip and hydro were in and contents were not "evil" that it is safe and okay to ship.

It is totally different regulations if it goes ground versus air freight.

For airfreight is when the valves need to come off.

It is not the same for ground shipment. I am fairly certain that you can leave the valves on and maybe even leave less than 100 psi and UPS may not care.

You really should look in their web site. Then after you find some actual information you could post it here.

I am a UPS driver and you can ship tanks with valve on as long as they are being shipped ground. I would ship with 50 to 100 lbs of air though to save on shipping charges. I would also package them in a box. This will keep people from opening valves. If you do it this way you should not have to have a new VIP if it is a current one.

I am a UPS driver and you can ship tanks with valve on as long as they are being shipped ground. I would ship with 50 to 100 lbs of air though to save on shipping charges. I would also package them in a box. This will keep people from opening valves. If you do it this way you should not have to have a new VIP if it is a current one.

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Fred,

From the DiveRiteExpress website

"Dive Rite Express ships your cylinder with the valve installed. ,,,Your cylinder ships with a few PSI pressure of oxygen compatible air necessary to keep the interior dry. The cylinders have a current month Visual Inspection Sticker; no re-inspection is necessary before filling."

There are no special labels or warnings on a tank box from them. I just checked the box that my 19CF steel pony came in. It was shipped UPS ground.

Back
Top Bottom