"Regulations" Got You Down? "Human Leather Gloves" are here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If my hands get cold, which certainly happens at 78F and maybe into the low 80's, I wear neoprene gloves of at least 3mm thickness. They may also be useful for exits, hanging on chain/rope, etc, but temperature is the primary reason I wear gloves. If you really want to cut down the reef damage, stop using cameras with macro capability, and leave your fins at home...or learn some skills.

merxlin:
The true measure of a person's moral compass is not what they do when they might get caught, but what they do when they won't get caught. Your life, your Karma.

Does this really apply in a situation like this?

It would be one thing if he was touching things w/ gloves on, but his intent is to do no damage, but to protect himself.

If there is such a thing as "karma" i doubt it would have any effect here.

Racket:
Does this really apply in a situation like this?

It would be one thing if he was touching things w/ gloves on, but his intent is to do no damage, but to protect himself.

If there is such a thing as "karma" i doubt it would have any effect here.
That depends on whether or not the dive op's boat get confiscated, or if the dive op gets fined instead of him.

If it was only him, I would tend to agree that it's his risk/choice to decide, but there are other parties involved means it's more than his neck on the line.

The dive boat doesn't have any risk - like they are going to seize a boat because someone has gloves in their bag. Even if this regulation is in effect, how could it possibly be enforced? Just HAVING gloves in your possession can't be a crime, and it's not like they have little police divers down there watching eveyone. Finally, even under a system as must exist in CI, the dive boat owner could not be convicted of WEARING GLOVES WHILE DIVING unless the dive boat owner was diving and wearing gloves, so the poster is mistaken...completely...

Whether it's likely or possible are two very different scenarios.... and "likely" means you are still rolling the dice with their livelihood.

And in denying this, you're asking us to take your word over theirs, since you have yet to post proof or backup of your interpretation of the law. *shrug* When you have person saying the facts are "A" and another saying the facts are "B" you have to decide who to believe, or research it yourself.

Frankly, I don't care enough to do that much work. But in this case, the person espousing fact "A" is also bragging about getting away with violating the rules, which makes them a smidge less trustworthy than the other. At least in my mind. YMMV. I'm done with this thread...

I said COULD NOT BE, not likely or unlikely...SO, YOU WERE DONE A LONG TIME AGO...man, my gloves fit great, and I can't wait to use them!

This is ridiculous. I can't believe I've just spent the last 20 or so minutes reading through this dribble. Bringing nationality into it, really? THAT is childish. We're all divers here, we all want to have a good time and enjoy the sea world. What does it matter if your American, British, or French. For christs sake, you all just made giant fools of yourselves. What does it matter if the guy wears gloves. As long as he doesn't touch things then it's fine. Disregarding laws is obviously a serious thing, but theres a time where you have to make a judgment call. It's gloves, get over it.

It's illegal in my state to carry spring assisted knives, in other words switch blades that release with the touch of a button, because the theory is that people that would use knives to harm others would rather carry switch blades than fixed blades. Here's the thing, even if i couldn't stab you with a switch blade it wouldn't stop me from doing so with an average kitchen blade. Thats why this glove argument is ludicrous. People are gonna touch things with or without gloves. If you really want to protect the marine environment then don't go diving.

To the people in this thread that blatantly insulted others based on their nationality, I'm going to find some way to report you. I come to this site to immerse myself in a FRIENDLY community of like minded people, who all love to dive. What I've found in this post is close minded, ignorant, jingoistic, insulting, and childish fools, who don't deserve the rite to post on this board.

For christs sake, you all [-]just [/-] SIX :censored:ING YEARS AGO made giant fools of yourselves.

Fixed that for ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom