Regluing SiTech NeckTite ring - question for glue experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I'm on my way to tweaking my CF200 that I picked up used. I bought the SiTech necktite system from Dive Right In Scuba, which has been a great shop. I opted to glue the ring in myself. It was a pain, but all seemed to go well. The only issue is because of the zipper placement on the suit, the edge of the inner zipper gasket rests up against the edge of the ring (which I glued on the inner layer of the suit via DRIS's instructions), making gluing more difficult there. Inside the suit, the ring started to separate a bit there, but is still waterproof (I think). Is there a way I can add glue in there without having to reglue the whole ring in? I tried to put some more cement in, wait until tacky, and press together again but it didn't seem to hold any better. Would aquaseal adhere two surfaces already covered in drysuit cement?

Also, I'm still getting water leakage on my dives, enough to soak my top. I had wondered if where the glue had started to separate, water was leaking in, but I did the air inflation leak test and the suit has stayed inflated for several hours. I'm guessing a leak big enough to soak my torso would have become apparent from an inflation test lasting a couple hours, no? That makes me think I may have water running in past the silicone neck seal, since I tend to dive with a bit of squeeze to prevent air movement.

Thanks all,
Austin

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 02:38 PM ----------

Ya know, I'm beginning to think I have water coming in through the shoulder dump. But this is an old high profile SiTech dump valve and I can't figure out how to disassemble it...

Although other posters will probably disagree, I think the only sure way is to invert the suit and fill with water. After all, you are not checking for air leaks from within the suit, you are checking for water leaks from the outside in.

I've had several leaking suits that could not be detected by using air and bubble solution. Sometimes it take a while for the leak to appear when its inside out. The inside out test is also good for checking for the exhaust valve since that is the way the water flows if it is leaking.

What type of glue are you using? Whether I am using the heat tape or PB300, I have taken to using aquaseal around the edges.

Another thing to look for is a pin hole in the silicone. I had that and it was impossible to see until you stretched the silicone.

If you stuck aquaseal inside the separation, it might be really difficult to get apart when the time comes.

Thanks DiveZone. I only used cement (PB300) on the ring, and should have put the bead of aquaseal around the edge to begin with, especially since the ring is supposed to be permanent. I'll be putting the bead around now, and was going to try to use some of the aquaseal to get under the edge that started to lift away before then putting the bead around the whole edge.

The reason I'm suspecting the dump valve is because it's a very old valve, and my left arm seems to get wet the most. I'm likely making things worse because I'll often hit the valve to purge it on descent just by habit, when there isn't really any air in the suit to begin with, and I think I'm just letting even more water in when I do that.

The inflation leak test I did just to make sure I didn't have a major leak, as a pin hole one wouldn't have gotten me as wet as I was. I'm back in Boston in my apartment now, so I'll have to wait a bit before I can do the hose test outside.

Austin

I don't know if this is the type of valve you have, but HERE is a photo essay on taking apart and servicing a SiTech dump valve.

I don't know if this is the type of valve you have, but HERE is a photo essay on taking apart and servicing a SiTech dump valve.

Thanks Lynne, I actually did see your post about that while searching. Unfortunately I believe my valve is a previous model from the 90's, and I don't see a screwdriver opening with which to pry the cover off.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Thanks Mike, again for all the help you've been. The aquaseal around the inside and outside edges did the trick. I should have just done that from the start instead of waiting until now. I showed John at NSS which dump valve I have, and he said given how old it is he'd be more surprised if it's not leaking, and that I'll likely end up replacing it since DUI has a habit of gluing the threading. I should have thought to not leave the thing completely open even after I was getting wet. I won't be diving again for at least several months, so I'll likely just replace the valve for good measure and then do the water test to see if the suit still leaks anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom