Reg. Tasting funny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoreliner11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a new (bought in December) Oceanic Delta 4 reg with the FDX10 1st stage and it seems to give the air a very rubberized taste. I pretty sure its my reg. (probable the hoses I would think actually) and not just a bad air fill because breathing through a buddy's reg. on a tank filled with the air from the same place did not have the problem. I've used the reg. 2 different times with only 3 logged dives with it thus far. I imagine I should get it checked out soon, but has anyone had any similar problems. Thanks
Aaron

I had that from a new hose. The taste disappeared after it was a couple months old.

Yes, My Poseidon Regs we the same way and I just road it out (dumb on my part). I should done some thing to fix this as the air fills that I dove with tasted bad. But after time it had gone away and everything is OK now?

If I had to do again I would have removed the hoses and flushed them with water,soda water,baking soda or something. If you try this please be sure of what you use is not going to harm anything. The tasted will go away and if you come up with any good solutions please let me know.

Regards, George

If you by any chance have a rubber mouthpiece, you might want replace it with a silicone one. Rubber mouthpieces taste bad to me.

I'll second the new hose possibility. Every time I buy a new hose I get this not terribly pleasant rubbery/oily taste for the first several dives.

I have not tried rinsing the hose out but I suspect that would work to speed the taste elimination process.

Thanks for the info. I'm going on another day trip this weekend to the reef so we'll see if the taste diminishes at all. While diving you get used to it but its those first couple breaths that are kinda gross. If it doesn't go away after a couple more dives I'll look into flushing the hoses.

Good on ya
Aaron

If you flush it, remove the hose from both first and second stages, run hot tap water through it. Then let the heat that soaked into the hose dry it out. Finish the job if possible by attaching the hose to the first stage and crack the valve on the tank to let a small amount of air flow thorugh the hose for a minute or so to dry it thoroughly before attaching the second stage to it.

Running a lot of air through the hose is problematic as it can cause the hose to whip around if you don't have a firm grip on it. Be sure to hold on to the end of the hose in any case, as it can hurt if it smacks you in the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom