Reg soaked with open port - need service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quicksilver II

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm an idiot and soaked my Dive Rite XT2 with the low pressure inflator hose port empty/open. Just in the tub after a dive trip, not at depth.

Anyone have any idea if that's an issue?

If you have a cylinder available, connect it and purge air through the regulator as soon as possible.

Can also try removing the hoses you can blow air through them.

There is valve in hose for water stop like from pushbike

I'm an idiot and soaked my Dive Rite XT2 with the low pressure inflator hose port empty/open. Just in the tub after a dive trip, not at depth.

You unthreaded the hose from the first stage?
Or the bcd quick connect was not hook up to the inflater..??

You unthreaded the hose from the first stage?
Or the bcd quick connect was not hook up to the inflater..??
This is a crucial distinction. If it's the first and water could enter directly into an LP port on the first stage, then it needs to be opened up, dried out and checked for corrosion.

If it's the second, then you're fine unless you really worked at getting water up your hoses by pushing the purge on one of your second stages while swishing the regs around.

Edit: even if it was an open port, you should be fine following the advice in the next post if it was fresh water. But salt water will need proper cleaning.

Fresh water shouldn’t be a huge deal.
Undo the HP hose from the reg first before you repressurize it to clear out the water in the LP hoses. In most cases the water probably didn’t go past the pinhole in the reg body to get into the hose. If you think it got into the HP hose then undo the SPG/AI computer and blow air through it.
Don’t worry, it will be fine.

It was an open port in the first stage. No LP hose was attached. I had to borrow one and returned it right before I dropped everything in the tub.

Going to take it in just in case. I have a lot of redundancy but only have one first stage!

Appreciate the kind words. I'm learning, slowly but surely.

Oh, just the inflator hose?

Then no worries, the inflator hose has a Schrader valve on the quick-disconnet side (the same in bicycle tubes and similar to car tires), so no water will seep into it. I usually soak my regs with the inflator hose disconnected.

A more common thing is forgetting to close the dust cap or the second stage immersed with the purge button pressed.

Back
Top Bottom