Reg Servicing, buy local, buy online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all, I have a question about a new reg purchase. I am getting my first set of gear and looking @ an AquaLung Titan. I live inland and don't have any real reason to be overly loyal to my LDS, other than servicing options.

They charge 120 to service a reg not purchased from them. If I purchase the reg from them, service is 60 a year, with year 1 being a service, 2 being a complete rebuild. As long as I stay up on service, parts are 100% covered. Is this a good deal, average, or ripoff? I could learn to service the reg myself, but then I would have to cover parts.

Just curious what some of the more experienced folks thought.

Thanks.

Your best bet is to buy the reg at the best price you can find it for, then take excellent care of it, being careful to soak it after salt water dives; soak, not just rinse, and blow a little air from a tank through it after soaking to dry it. Make sure the dust cap is in place or the reg is on a tank when soaking.

Then it should only need servicing every 100 dives or so, meaning several years between rebuilds. Annual rebuilds on a reg, especially one with the great time-tested design of the titan, are almost never needed for casual recreational divers. Pros that dive every day, sure, but 10-20 dives/year...no way. So I suggest you just pay for parts. It's cheaper in the long run. Eventually you can get into DIY service, with me that happened after a poor service job from a dive shop. It's not rocket science.

As far as where to take your reg for servicing, if the local guy is good, take it there. Unfortunately there's not much of a way to know until you take your reg there. It's a real crapshoot. Another option is to send your reg to a service tech that's recommended by several people on this forum. Actually, one great guy in FL would be Bryan at vintage double hose. Since the titan 1st stage is functionally the same as the old USD doublehose regs, he's a real expert, and of course he'd do a great job with the 2nd stages too.

Your LDS is saying if we inspect a reg in year 1 of the warranty, the cost is $60. When we service a reg with free parts in year 2, the cost is $60. Does that make sense?

Also, if you look on ebay, you will find plenty of Titans for sale because they have don't have much demand used. Consider patiently shopping a used Legend.
No, it doesn't. Which is why I asked. Perhaps the odd year service is cheaper, but the 60 stuck out to me.

will definitely look @ used. thanks.

So it sounds to me that the labor charge is $60, and part is $60. If you get free part, then the service will be $60. I think this number makes sense to me. Here where I live, the labor the 1x 1st + 2x 2nd will go for $75. Part will be like $50. So $120 per service isn't too unreasonable. Now unless you dive a lot, I don't think a strict annual service schedule is necessary.

There's really no reason to get a legend, the titan LX model would be a good step up because it includes a balanced, barrel poppet 2nd stage. Used is a great idea as long as you have someone who you trust that can help you evaluate the reg. I only buy used regs, but I can easily evaluate them and I work on them myself.

Well naldiver based on your upcoming travel itinerary, looks like you'll be needing some gear. :)

I didn't take any of my lessons nor buy my regs/original bcd from my lds, but they service my regs for $50-60 bucks, and used to service my old bcd too for minimal $. I get a discount on most everything I purchase in there, no idea why but I'm very appreciative. Hope you can find a good working relationship with an lds too.

Wow... my LDS services any reg I own whether I bought it from them or not (and I have yet to buy one from them as I prefer older regs that are no longer manufactured).

as a dive shop, we recommend having a certified technicial look at them, other option is take the seminars online that can teach on how to service regulators properly and how to spot potential issues, i know plenty of places you can buy your own service kit, including us. i know plenty of people that do their own reg service for many reasons, including living inland where access to dive shops is trouble. AQ gives you maintenance every two years, you can also send it in to a dive shop and we will maintain them for you, plus the shipping costs and what not, usually will run you $35 or so plus shipping costs. Dive Safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom