reg purchase, then what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I understand all about buying through my dive shop. I'm quite willing to do that. But there's a catch.

Here is what I wanted to buy:

Apeks DS4 (DIN)
Apeks TX50 Primary
Apeks TX40 Octo
DIN to Yoke adaptor

My LDS wants approx $800 for this. Seemed a bit high, so I searched on the net, and found this combo pack (actually with the ATX models) for approx $500.

If I buy off of the internet, is there anything that needs to be done to the regulator to make it "ready to dive" that I'd need the shop for? They also said annual service is about $90, half labor, half parts. Are Apeks parts considered under warranty, or conumables? In other words, would there be an ROI by buying through the shop, or would I be better off taking that $300 and throwing it into my stress and rescue course instead?

The LDS doesn't seem willing to budge on the price because they don't stock these items. They are primarily an 80/80 supply store. I think they are already frustrated with me because I'm going to another store to get a bp/w instead of their suggested SQ Pro.

I don't want to burn any bridges there with them because I really like their instructors, but their selection just doesn't meet my goals.

I'd like some expert advice.

The only thing you would need to do is screw the octo in the first stage. If you buy through an Authorized dealer Apeks provides free parts, but you still need to pay for the labor.
My opinion: save the $300.

I think they are messing you around and charging up the price/not lowering it due to your BC choice. Are there any other LDS's in your area? If not then maybe you should buy online, i have options here and can competatively get the ATX200 w/ATX50 set-up for just under $650 (w/ warranty/parts), whereas LP offers that for about $650, so sometimes you can match/beat online prices. The regular mark up on these two is about $915 i believe, so that is some saving. The price you are being offered around $800 also looks like essentially the MSRP, its possible to do better, but no-one has to give you these regs at a knockdown price - but they might lose your business that way. Checkout Aqualungs dealers page to see if there is anyone else in your area that deals in Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom