Reg goes missing during cave diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In sidemount, there are two schools of how to setup the regulators:

(A) long hose + short hose backup with bungee necklace, see for example
(B) two hoses of same length and no bungee, see for example
The method "always donate primary" works only with (B), whereas with (A) you always donate the long hose reg, which is in your mouth with 50% probability, and clipped away with 50% probability. So it's an open debate which one is more important to DIR philosophy: "always donate primary" or "long hose + short hose bungeed necklace". Can't have both in sidemount.

Seems your instructor favors (B) as he removed the necklace. But did he also tell you to use a longer hose on that one so that you can donate it, and show how to change your regulator boltsnaps so that you can use the clipped away regulator as a backup?
You actually can do both DIR philosophy’s in sidemount with this UTD Z-system isolator.I’ve never used it but it’s out there.

Achim demonstrates how to tie on mouthpiece, starting @ 4:35...

Tackeling

In sidemount, there are two schools of how to setup the regulators:

(A) long hose + short hose backup with bungee necklace, see for example
(B) two hoses of same length and no bungee, see for example
The method "always donate primary" works only with (B), whereas with (A) you always donate the long hose reg, which is in your mouth with 50% probability, and clipped away with 50% probability. So it's an open debate which one is more important to DIR philosophy: "always donate primary" or "long hose + short hose bungeed necklace". Can't have both in sidemount.

Seems your instructor favors (B) as he removed the necklace. But did he also tell you to use a longer hose on that one so that you can donate it, and show how to change your regulator boltsnaps so that you can use the clipped away regulator as a backup?
1. My cave sidemount setup is B.
2. I also dive sidemount when diving solo open water with 7L tanks when taking pictures (shore dives). In this case I wear a necklace on my left reg. This IMO gives two advantages - one is covered in point 3 below. The other is that it simplifies the reg change as one of the regs doesn't have to be clipped/unclipped. e.g. Reg change becomes unclip spare, spit out main, pop spare into mouth.
3. My open water/rec setup is a traditional black primary / yellow occy on an old black diamond bcd. I wear a necklace on the primary. I find the necklace very useful mainly getting into and out of the ocean. I always know where the primary is. Occy goes under my right arm and the hose is tucked in a D ring on my right shoulder. Occy reg mouthpiece faced into my chest to minimize chance of freeflow on entry.

These days I mainly do open water (2 and 3)...South Australia where most of the cave diving happens in Australia is unfortunately a long way from where I live in Sydney. A shore dive is a 15 minute drive...

A regulator mouthpiece should not be bitten or chewed on while it's in your mouth. I would say that you panicked. When you breathe through the regulator you must be relaxed. CCR divers are able to blow bubbles around the mouthpiece. Use low profile zip ties.

A regulator mouthpiece should not be bitten or chewed on while it's your mouth. I would say that you panicked. When you breathe through the regulator you must be relaxed. CCR divers are able to blow bubbles around the mouthpiece.
yep -that must be it. Impressed with the bubbles - can you attach a picture?

You actually can do both DIR philosophy’s in sidemount with this UTD Z-system isolator.I’ve never used it but it’s out there.
The system seems to be a gimmick. Why risk a weak system (UTD Z-system isolator) in the team link? This could prove hazardous if you're behind a diver whom you have donated your long hose, if he happens to be using backmount, in an OOA situation.

The system seems to be a gimmick. Why risk a weak system (UTD Z-system isolator) in the team link? This could prove hazardous if you're behind a diver whom you have donated your long hose, if he happens to be using backmount, in an OOA situation.
I am not following? I know its a bad system with all its added failure points. it over complicates the system.

I am not following? I know its a bad system with all its added failure points. it over complicates the system.
You're not missing anything not following the distracting trolls

Back
Top Bottom