Reg goes missing during cave diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsmeok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This incident happened about 5 years ago but has been on my mind. I'd quit a job and had a few weeks before starting my next job so decided to do a cave diving course in South Australia (I'm based in Sydney). I travelled down with my gear (sidemount) and met the instructor and fellow student. The night before we went for our first dive the instructor reviewed my gear setup. I usually dive with my main reg on a necklace which I'd left on. The instructor pulled this off. Apart from that the setup was fine.

A few days later we were finishing a dive when I breathed in and got a mouthful of water. It was confusing as the mouthpiece was in my mouth. The instructor was a few metres away so I went to her, gave the out-of-air signal, and she gave me her spare and we surfaced.

The problem turned out to be that the ziptie that holds the mouthpiece to the 2nd stage had loosened, probably when the instructor pulled the necklace off. The 2nd stage had fallen away leaving the mouthpiece in my mouth and me breathing water.

That night I reflected on how I'd reacted. I wasn't happy with my response. I had two independent systems so I should have gone for my other regulator. The next time the instructor pulled the reg out of my mouth during training I shoved my alternate reg in my mouth which promptly got pulled out (lol) before I signalled my buddy through the line and got his spare. The instructor was ok with this and said she was happy to pull out my regs as many times as required.

I'd been diving for quite a few years before this incident happened. I do wonder if I was a new diver what my reaction would have been. It seems almost like a design flaw that could result in a catastrophe.

This incident happened about 5 years ago but has been on my mind. I'd quit a job and had a few weeks before starting my next job so decided to do a cave diving course in South Australia (I'm based in Sydney). I travelled down with my gear (sidemount) and met the instructor and fellow student. The night before we went for our first dive the instructor reviewed my gear setup. I usually dive with my main reg on a necklace which I'd left on. The instructor pulled this off. Apart from that the setup was fine.

A few days later we were finishing a dive when I breathed in and got a mouthful of water. It was confusing as the mouthpiece was in my mouth. The instructor was a few metres away so I went to her, gave the out-of-air signal, and she gave me her spare and we surfaced.

The problem turned out to be that the ziptie that holds the mouthpiece to the 2nd stage had loosened, probably when the instructor pulled the necklace off. The 2nd stage had fallen away leaving the mouthpiece in my mouth and me breathing water.

That night I reflected on how I'd reacted. I wasn't happy with my response. I had two independent systems so I should have gone for my other regulator. The next time the instructor pulled the reg out of my mouth during training I shoved my alternate reg in my mouth which promptly got pulled out (lol) before I signalled my buddy through the line and got his spare. The instructor was ok with this and said she was happy to pull out my regs as many times as required.

I'd been diving for quite a few years before this incident happened. I do wonder if I was a new diver what my reaction would have been. It seems almost like a design flaw that could result in a catastrophe.

Design Flaw: That is an interesting way to put it. I view it along the lines of our instinctive responses to a lot of diving problems are WRONG. When the bubbles stop, (for whatever reason) the instinctive response is to bolt for the surface.

The whole point of training and practice is to engrain a modified way of responding which is logical and practical and NOT instinctive. Maybe after thousands of dives our "instincts" begin to morph into the "proper response" in some situations.

Design Flaw: That is an interesting way to put it. I view it along the lines of our instinctive responses to a lot of diving problems are WRONG. When the bubbles stop, (for whatever reason) the instinctive response is to bolt for the surface.

The whole point of training and practice is to engrain a modified way of responding which is logical and practical and NOT instinctive. Maybe after thousands of dives our "instincts" begin to morph into the "proper response" in some situations.
I agree re training our response. Design flaw was referring to using a ziptie to attach the mouthpiece to the 2nd stage....

Design flaw was referring to using a ziptie to attach the mouthpiece to the first stage....

Person makes alteration to one part of the component (the necklace) without making proper adjustment to the other part of the component (the ziptie) and you call it a design flaw?

The two human flaws are:
  1. Instructor pulled the necklace off your gear rather than instructing you to remove it yourself
  2. You did not properly check your gear after someone else made a modification to it.

Person makes alteration to one part of the component (the necklace) without making proper adjustment to the other part of the component (the ziptie) and you call it a design flaw?

The two human flaws are:
  1. Instructor pulled the necklace off your gear rather than instructing you to remove it yourself
  2. You did not properly check your gear after someone else made a modification to it.
lol - Yep - fully accept I should have checked it . However, attaching the mouthpiece to the reg by a ziptie seems very failable to me. I've seen them come off since on rentals but thankfully not in the water. No gear change, just loosened (somehow).

Not all flaws are human and I strongly believe we should be looking at ourselves AND our equipment to see what we can improve.

Your response seems to imply there is only humans issues here - I disagree. ....

My other point would be that standard training teaches us to check lots of things, but not the mouthpiece. Its been a while since I did my open water so please correct me if I'm wrong...

The mouthpiece is typically only removed during an overhaul or outright replacement; examined for wear; replaced after second stage assembly with a new cable tie. Over decades, I have never managed to lose a mouthpiece -- that's a new one -- but I would lose the damn necklace.

Can't fathom how people can have those around their necks; gives me the willies . . .

The mouthpiece is typically only removed during an overhaul or outright replacement; examined for wear; replaced after second stage assembly with a new cable tie. Over decades, I have never managed to lose a mouthpiece -- that's a new one --
I've spoken to other people who have had the mouthpiece separate - not many but enough. And on rentals I ALWAYS check and have picked up one that needed a new ziptie.
but I would lose the damn necklace.

Can't fathom how people can have those around their necks; gives me the willies . . .
I find the necklace to be great. Won't be losing it....

Where else is a better place for your backup 2nd?? You’ve never been tossed by a wave, have you?
Attached by a velcro tab to my right shoulder; has never come loose accidentally; and I have frequently been tossed . . .

Back
Top Bottom