Reg for a woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm buying my girlfriend a regulator setup and I'm wondering if any of you have any advice here. My LDS says that women (and smaller men) don't suck as much air so its not crucial to get the top performing regulator. I want to get her something dependable and well constructed, without spending an arm and a leg on something she may not use that much. I'm thinking of getting her a Scubapro MK25 with a R390 2nd stage. What do you guys think? According to the LDS she will not be able to tell the difference between the R390 primary 2nd stage and an S550.

The variations within the sexes is greater than the differences in average between the sexes. Besides, its Valentines Day, don't you love her? :wink:

There are good regs that breathe great and don't cost a fortune. Are you hooked on the ScubaPro brand for any particular reason?

The issue isn't the volume of breathing gas, it's the effort it takes to get it. Top performing regulators deliver that gas much more efficiently than poor performing ones.

Scubapro's are great, I'd also look at Apeks, Zeagles and Atomics.

Well, I have a Scubapro regulator, and I figured since I'm happy with it then why try something else. Also, for the simplicity of sending them in for service together, finding spare parts on vacation, etc. Its just easier to have the same brand, and I trust Scubapro! Just personal preference, nothing against other manufacturers. You're right, it is Valentine's Day, and I'm thinking of joining the 40 meter club!

On the other hand - honestly - it's a strange attitude that
women (and smaller men) don't suck as much air so its not crucial to get the top performing regulator
. If it wouldn't be PG13 board I use harsher name for such statement. So let's call it simply a crap. No matter what sex or size are you simply get her and yourself a good regulator. And that's all.
BTW I'm using Scubapro and Apex.
Mania

I'm a woman and one of those who don't breathe, and I'd still want the best performing reg I can get (and service.) I have Scubapro too.

mania:
On the other hand - honestly - it's a strange attitude that . If it wouldn't be PG13 board I use harsher name for such statement. So let's call it simply a crap.
Mania

Jeeeze, I didn't know I'd get ripped a new orfice for simply stating what the LDS told me about regs, it doesn't reflect any opinion I have on sexual discrimination for heaven's sake! According to the LDS, a bigger lung capacity requires a reg that can provide air flow at a higher rate per second, which made perfect sense to me. I for one, am someone with smaller/average sized lungs, so most middle of the road regs work just fine for me, as they probably would for my girlfriend in question. The LDS said that some of the 'top performing' regs (i.e. that can deliver the MOST volume of air per second) are not necessarily going to be of use in our situation, since we are not 6'4" and 240lbs and do not have the lung volume to demand such a high performing regulator. That being said, can I be taken off of the feminist hit list now?

I don't think Mania was commenting on your opinion, but rather that of the LDS.

Almost any reasonable reg is going to work adequately for an average person in tame conditions. Better ones will be nicer to breath. Scubapro makes good stuff and either of the ones you're talking about should be fine.

It is the case, if you find yourself sharing air or in a situation where you're working very hard or stressed, you might wish you had the higher performing reg. Stuff happens.

Damselfish:
It is the case, if you find yourself sharing air or in a situation where you're working very hard or stressed, you might wish you had the higher performing reg. Stuff happens.

That is a very good point! So what i'm getting at is that I'm still wondering if the R390 is suitable for even stressed situations, is it a reg that performs well? I have it for my octo, but from what the LDS tells me there is a different spring in the one used as a primary. When they called Scubapro they said that an average diver would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test between the R390 and the S550 performance wise.

If you would be willing to put it in your mouth and breath off of it at 100' then that's fine.

Buy her what you would be willing to buy for yourself.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom